Help: Can't Format Hard Drive

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Igor Batinic said:
Theoretically, "Y cable" is the same as ordinary cable.

Well, no. Not with regard to signal issues. a ''y'' is
pretty bad, as you can get echo amplification, at least if
both sides are the same length.
A lot of brand name vendors used such a combination,

I have never seen one, but I will take your word on it.
the only thing to
take care is that all connectors must be used (as ATA specifies that
both ends of the cable must be populated).

Ok, _that_ makes sense. So a Y cable is a potential problem
to the uninitiated.

Arno

Squeeze

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
Well, no. Not with regard to signal issues.
a ''y'' is pretty bad, as you can get echo amplification, at least if
both sides are the same length.

Bwahaha.
Now you know why SCSI is such a bad system, thanks to the babblebot.
I have never seen one, but I will take your word on it.

(as ATA specifies that both ends of the cable must be populated).
Ok, _that_ makes sense.

No it doesn't, according to what you just said above.
So a Y cable is a potential problem to the uninitiated.

So is any cable, Babblebot.

Igor Batinic

Hi!
You found one, but does it mean it started out that way
instead of someone changing it themselves to "tidy up"
things? I've seen a good number of Compaqs but never with
the cable(s) like that.

Some very popular IBM mini tower systems (IIRC, GL 300 series) had
implemented such a solution. Also, again IIRC, some HP systems.

Best regards,

Iggy

Squeeze

kony wrote in news:[email protected]
Maybe you need to reread the posts so you know what the heck
you are whining about?

I see.
You saw your error but you are obviously not going to own up to it.

Thanks for making it clear that you are indeed the troll that delibe-
rately snips posts to the point where they become incomprehensible.
I never said it didn't,

Yes you did, just a paragraph above. Though as per usual with you it's quite
possible that your often mis-used word "it" can have several meanings.
What it: jumper, drive.
but you are wrong in saying "wrong" since the topic
was jumpering

Nope, drive moving and how that affects Master/Slave
with cable select. Or the other way around, if you like.
That's what you get for snipping too much.
and CS does what I wrote,

Does what exactly.
You write so many two-ways interpretable, barely
comprehensible or even utterly incomprehensible lines.
making it unnecessary to move the jumper

Du-uh, obviously it wouldn't be CS anymore if you moved the CS jumper.
if you are moving the drive to the end of the cable.

You didn't say anything about moving the drive.
Rather the opposite, that there is no need to move a drive
if the configuration changes. You got corrected on that.
And now you correct yourself on that.
Do try to read at least some part of a topic
Pot-kettle-black.

before replying next time.

Do try and not snip the post into oblivian.
Do try and read your posts whether they make any sense before you send.