Help a Newbie!

Scott Newberry

New to ASP.NET, and really, web programming in general, so please be gentle!

I'm creating a form that allows users their children in an after-school
program. It collects contact info, info on the children, etc. It also
needs to process their credit card payment.

I'm set up with Verisign's PayFlow Link, and posting the data to them and
getting a return is no problem. What I'm left wondering about is how can I
store all of this data only if the payment is successfully processed? What
I was thinking was write the information to a table, along with a unique
identifier, process the credit card, passing the identifier to Verisign as a
user-defined field. Verisign will post back to another page on my site the
results, along with the unique identifier. That ASPX page will go into the
table, mark the record as paid, or delete the record, etc.

Is this a reasonable way of accomplishing this, or is there another
preferred method.

Also, I'm working with Access as a database, or should I just use an XML
file? I'm not familiar with XML, really, but somewhat familiar with Access
and classic ASP. I'd love to use SQL Server, but the non-profit that I'm
trying to do this for isn't going to spend the money to add on SQL Server.
Anyway, the volume of transactions isn't going to be such that there will be
a big performance hitch with Access, I don't think.

Just curious to see if I'm barking up the right tree, or if I'm completely
off-target.

Thanks!

Scott

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Scott,

I agree with Kevin that it is better to use database here instead of xml file. So you could control the data more conveniently
and make use of some features of Access. Whether it is necessary to use SQL server depends on the size and complexity
of your data

Thanks for participating the community.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "Scott Newberry" <[email protected]>
!Subject: Help a Newbie!
!Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:00:37 -0400
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
!
[...]

You could also try to use MSDE(Microsoft Data Engine) freely.

MSDE enables developers to build desktop and shared database solutions that easily migrate to SQL Server when the
solution must scale. Please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnmsde/html/msderoadmap.asp?frame=true for
more details.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: (e-mail address removed) (Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT])
!Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:39:55 GMT
!Subject: RE: Help a Newbie!
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
!
!Hello Scott,
!
!I agree with Kevin that it is better to use database here instead of xml file. So you could control the data more conveniently
!and make use of some features of Access. Whether it is necessary to use SQL server depends on the size and complexity
!of your data
!
!Thanks for participating the community.
!
!Best regards,
!Yanhong Huang
!Microsoft Online Partner Support
!
!Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
!This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
!
!!From: "Scott Newberry" <[email protected]>
!!Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:00:37 -0400
!!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet