hello everyone

Reaction score
how is everyone doing?
so what exactly is the favored subject in these forums?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Hey man,

The favoured subject is helping people out really, if you ever have a problem or need some advice just post and im sure one of the oldies or me will help you out ;).

Reaction score
well since you said help could you give me a PC suggestion? for my birthday i recieved about $700 to put twords a new PCi would like to be able to play games like Doom 3 and call of duty and urban terror. i would like to either build a PC for around 600 (with 100 to buy a temporary monitor). if you could recomend the parts from Newegg or Tiger Direct.comi would apreiate it.

-thank you
Tuffy

Reaction score
If you want to be able to play doom 3 then you are going to need a pretty good computer.

Welcome btw

Im not sure if you know this but this is a UK site so we arent used to dealing in bucks (well i am i guess but i dont think everyone else is)

I'll put together a spec for you if you like here in a lil bit...

chris

Reaction score
thank you chris, i apreciate it.

yes i know that it is UK and i forgot that they use a different money unit
i think i converted this correct 700 AMD = 382.054

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hiya Tuffy, welcome to PC Review UK :)

The currency conversion figure you've given is for a straight cash conversion. In fact, in my experience, as PC parts are cheaper in the US and some States don't charge purchase tax, on average 700 dollars actually translates to about 700 pounds sterling in terms of buying computer components.

I know that sounds odd, but it more or less holds accurate.

So, Chris, if you're going to suggest a system, give yourself a budget of around £650.00 for this guy.

And go AMD, eh? On that budget and wanting to play Doom III, a good video card is a must, although I've read repports of Doom III playing fine on an ATI 9600XT.

Reaction score
Yeah i was going to go for a high end socket A system for that kind of money - if it was upwards of £1000 i would have probably taken Intel but for this budget AMD is the way forward.

I take it you only want a base unit? No monitor, Keyboard etc etc...

I dont really need to figure out the pounds, i was going to choose the components straight from Tigerdirect.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Chris, try New Egg (usa components suppliers) I've bought stuff from there myself (via contacts in USA). They're good.

Reaction score
am speccing up now - may have overspent a little so will reselect some components.

Will look at new egg now.

one thing i noticed...9800pros are very expensive (229 bucks) and memory isnt!

Reaction score
hmm... i need to get rid of $77 somewhere!

oh wait...$177 somewhere! you sure you need a temp monitor?? 100 bucks is a fair performance hit!

this is where i am at so far...

see the attached file.

you loose the decent PSU if you scrap the case so im not sure about loosing that. Not sure about the motherboard either - its a good one at a low price. compliments the system nicely.

Attachments

• Spec so far needs tweaking.JPG
    Spec so far needs tweaking.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
well i am about to start mowing the lawn for $100 month
yes newegg and tigerdirect are the favored places from what i have heard

Reaction score
well then what i have there for you is a pretty good set up - all good components, should run pretty much anything going on full settings bar a couple of games where you may need to tweak the settings a tad...

see what others have to say

Reaction score
yes i dont have the pound sign. lol well my mom says that i only have to mow it once every week (i can most likely get by with once every two weeks)

Ask a Question