Healthy Eating

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Yeah but it tastes good...:D If we all knew what went into our food we'd never eat it....:p

I'll agree it does actually taste quite good, texture's ok as well, which means a lot.

I just find the idea of munching congealed blood distasteful, call me a wuss if you will but.... yuk

As for knowing what's in our food, I do actually go out of my way to find out, fussy bugger that I am ;)

The reason I went temporary veggie was mad cow disease, mostly, and a wariness of processed foods.

For six years, no meat, no fish. Dairy products though, and the occasional egg.

I didn't feel any different, didn't lose or gain weight and had lots of energy.

Before that, I really wasn't fond of vegetables.

Now, I can actually thoroughly enjoy a piece of raw broccoli, savour it's texture and apreciate the flavour, something I thought would always be alien to me.

Doner kebab anyone? :p

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I eat pretty healthily I suppose, loads of fresh fruit and veg etc. I have a wheat intolerance so I avoid wheat and gluten products - get most of my carbs from rice and baked potatoes, which I need as I do alot of sport. A normal breakfast would be gluten free muesli with fresh fruit and yoghurt.
I don't really drink alcohol unless its a special occasion, maybe the odd glass of wine with a meal.
Like Ciri I have a weakness for cheese - just love it, the ripe and smellier the better:eek:

Yeah, my daughter had coeliacs up until she was 8 years old, her's was so extreeme she couldn't eat rice or soy either (& normally the level of gluten in them is so minute that they are classed as gluten free). For the first few years we all ate gluten free so we wouldn't be 'eating in front of her' so to speak. She's been fine for a few years now but I still tend to catch myself reading the labels out of habit.

Tell you what though. When she was a baby she was a real screamer. Colic 24/7. All my friends used to say to just leave her to cry it out but I'm very glad that I didn't. We didn't find out until she was 18 months old that she was allergic to gluten & citrus. She had spent all that time in extreem agony with the lining of her gut literally burned out as if with acid, because she was getting it through my milk even before she went onto solids. Think of the 'learned helplessness' she would've developed if I'd just kept leaving her to cry on her own until she didn't even bother to try 'asking for help' anymore. It was 18 months of exhaustion but I'm so glad I stuck with it.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yep, coeliacs is a pain - you have to really read the labels. Fortunately mine is just an intolerance to wheat/gluten - not too much of a problem if I have a bit now and then.

Sounds like your daughter was a handful as a baby, still you did the right thing and you must be very proud when you see how she's turned out:thumb:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Yeah but it tastes good...:D If we all knew what went into our food we'd never eat it....:p

Yeah, my kid sister worked in a butchers for 6months once, she was veggie for 2-3 years after, even now she raises her own meat, gets in a couple of calves & grows 'em to bullocks for slaughter each year. And I'm betting she oversees the whole process too. She said exactly that. She said I especially didn't want to know what went into sausage meat or I'd never eat it again. Not just the offal but the meat that's going off goes in there too. & the hygeine standards weren't quite as spiff as they looked from outside either. But then, that was a few years ago now, things might be different now... OSH (Ocupational Safety & Health) would simply close anyone down who tried that stuff now. Mind you, got some ham chunks from a supermarket deli once, noticed just after my daughter had taken her first bite that the piece she was eating was flyblown. Don't buy from delis no more.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Yep, coeliacs is a pain - you have to really read the labels. Fortunately mine is just an intolerance to wheat/gluten - not too much of a problem if I have a bit now and then.

Sounds like your daughter was a handful as a baby, still you did the right thing and you must be very proud when you see how she's turned out:thumb:

Yeah, she's amazing :D. Happy & healthy & a wonderful person. What more can a parent ask. Mind you... she's only 13 now, yet to see how she weathers the worst of the teenage years. But she's a good kid/young woman. I am immensely proud of who she has made herself & personaly I reckon she'll do just fine. Although I might emigrate for the year that she's 15, that does tend to be the year that girls are... hardest on their parents (my poor mother :eek: )

Once, when my daughter was about 7yo she accidently ate something with some gluten in, just a minute amount, she ended up at A&E/Casualty in a coma & with a rash covering the lover half of her body that raised her surface temperature so high that her skin literally cooked & nothing the Dr's could do would stop it. An atypical reaction they said. It was horrific. & she was awake for that part too.

Last edited:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'll agree it does actually taste quite good, texture's ok as well, which means a lot.

I just find the idea of munching congealed blood distasteful, call me a wuss if you will but.... yuk

As for knowing what's in our food, I do actually go out of my way to find out, fussy bugger that I am ;)

The reason I went temporary veggie was mad cow disease, mostly, and a wariness of processed foods.

For six years, no meat, no fish. Dairy products though, and the occasional egg.

I didn't feel any different, didn't lose or gain weight and had lots of energy.

Before that, I really wasn't fond of vegetables.

Now, I can actually thoroughly enjoy a piece of raw broccoli, savour it's texture and apreciate the flavour, something I thought would always be alien to me.

Doner kebab anyone? :p

I'm impressed! I quite like vegetables & there's no way you'd catch me going vegetarian *shudder*
must've taken a heap of discipline to do it if you weren't into vegetables in the first place. & raw brocolli :eek: dip it in some boiling water for a second then toss it in butter then you'll have me, but raw... no thanks. But I will say that I do love lots of veggies now that you couldn't've forced down me as a kid. Tastes definitely do change as we age.

Doner kebab? Yep definitely, make mine to go :D

& if we order pizza, I always get a half & half. Half meat-lovers & half vegetarian. My two favourite flavours. I am a contrary b*gga aren't I?

But my most deadly of secrets... promise not to tell? I love cottage cheese *mmmmmm yum*. Could sit & eat a pottle of the stuff the same way some people eat ice-cream. Told you I was weird.

Ask a Question