Word Headers & footers in Word being greyed out

Reaction score
Hallo all. I'm really hoping someone is going to know the answer to this as I'm desperate. I'm creating a Word document where each page has the same layout, colours, text boxes and jpegs. I've created a template which works if I'm just doing a single page but I want to be able to insert a new page which has all the same elements and layout as the template but as far as I can see you can only insert a blank page. I've tried copy pasting but this is very time consuming as each pasted page doesn't paste into exactly the same position on each page so I have to reposition everything. Its a real pain and I'm up against a very tight deadline.

Ah I've just realised that I could maybe use headers and footers to insert the jpegs, text boxes etc i need however I'm finding that it all appears greyed out which I dont want. Is there a way for the items in the header not to be greyed out?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
In the view menu, look at the footers and headers. Then choose the option for page setup. On the last tab, you can choose to make your first page different, which means only that page will show the header/footer, or you can opt to have it be on each page.

I hope this helps.

kellyp68

Reaction score
Thanks for your help kelly. I managed to achieve what I wanted by creating my layout inside the header. Altho it initially appears greyed out, it prints fine.

Reaction score
Yes, it will look lighter because it's in the "background" and protected so it doesn't shift when you type. Glad you got it figured out.

Ask a Question