hdmi to dvi cable

Reaction score
Hi all

I am considering connecting up my xbox 360 elite to my new Samsung monitor.

The cable I will need is a HDMI to DVI cable. I get that part.

But how would I connect up the sound?

Flopps would know about this but my motherboard has Optical output and I think it's got coaxial too. Luckily my speakers Logitech have a control panel with both optical and coaxial. At the moment I am using Optical output on the PC.

I was thinking of somehow using optical on the xbox 360 and coaxial on the PC.

Any ideas how I could get optical to work on the 360 elite?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
first up i know nothing about the xbox 360 so i'm gonna guess here

assuming it has an optical output? connect that up to your speakers by simply plugging it in and there is probably some sort of setting somewhere that would need checking/changing

what are you using for sound currently?

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply.

I couldn't locate an optical input on the xbox.

At the moment I am using my tv's RGB cables for both sound and vision. On my PC I have got a set of Logitech Z680 speakers. The control unit has optical, phono and coaxial input. At the moment I am using optical for my PC. But intend to switch that to coaxial and then use optical on the xbox.

I intend to use my new Samsung TFT. I am waiting for a HDMI to DVI cable.

I wish to see if there really is a difference on high definition gaming. I could try it without the sound for a little bit.

Damn am I repeating myself? I am ironing my clothes lol

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply.

I couldn't locate an optical input on the xbox.

At the moment I am using my tv's RGB cables for both sound and vision. On my PC I have got a set of Logitech Z680 speakers. The control unit has optical, phono and coaxial input. At the moment I am using optical for my PC. But intend to switch that to coaxial and then use optical on the xbox.

I intend to use my new Samsung TFT. I am waiting for a HDMI to DVI cable.

I wish to see if there really is a difference on high definition gaming. I could try it without the sound for a little bit.

Damn am I repeating myself? I am ironing my clothes lol

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if there is no optical output on the xbox, which there isn't as i've just looked then you cant connect it to your speakers using an optical connection!

Ask a Question