HDD recognition is incorrect

G

After installing WinXP Pro, when I go into System properties, my HDD & CD drive are being reported as SCSI drives, which they are not.

1 is a Maxtor 5 3073H4 EIDE (3o GB Slave), drive which reports as a SCSI drive
(Model Maxtor 5 3073H4 SCSI Disk Device) from SI in Window
2 is a Maxtor 6 Y080L0 EIDE (80 GB Master), drive which reports as a SCSI drive
(Model Maxtor 6 Y080L0 SCSI Disk Device) from SI in Window
3 is a HP CD-Writer 8200 USB Device drive which reports the same
4 is an IDE DVD-ROM 16X SCSI Cdrom Device which reports as a SCSI drive

I have just noticed this glitch when I tried to re-install my DVD software. PowerDVD-XP installed fine, but the systm hangs when I try to run it or any DVD's inserted into the DVD drive. Mouse goes wonky, programs do not load, etc. Reads regular CD's fine...it's what I used to install XP

I do have a SCSI 2 interface card installed for my HP Scanjet 4P, but no drivers are installed. Could not figure that part out
SI also reports that under Components/Storage/SCSI - it reports the Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE Controller, and th
driver is c:\windows\system32\drivers\ultra.sys ( 1.43 (Build 0603), 35.88 KB (36,736 bytes), 8/23/2001 6:00 AM

Any ideas for the mis-representation? SCSI features are turned off in my BIOS, which is an
Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V266-E ACPI BIOS Rev 1011, 8/20/2002. (Newer updates only report as supporting newer Athlon CPU's.
CPU is an Athlon 1800+, 512 MB of DDR-RAM, lots of everything free

SI also reports that there are no conflicts or problems. All of this worked MINT in Win 98 SR2
Please help....Thanx in advance.

B

Bob Willard

Lippy1 said:
After installing WinXP Pro, when I go into System properties, my HDD & CD drive are being reported as SCSI drives, which they are not.

1 is a Maxtor 5 3073H4 EIDE (3o GB Slave), drive which reports as a SCSI drive.
(Model Maxtor 5 3073H4 SCSI Disk Device) from SI in Windows
2 is a Maxtor 6 Y080L0 EIDE (80 GB Master), drive which reports as a SCSI drive.
(Model Maxtor 6 Y080L0 SCSI Disk Device) from SI in Windows
3 is a HP CD-Writer 8200 USB Device drive which reports the same.
4 is an IDE DVD-ROM 16X SCSI Cdrom Device which reports as a SCSI drive.

I have just noticed this glitch when I tried to re-install my DVD software. PowerDVD-XP installed fine, but the systm hangs when I try to run it or any DVD's inserted into the DVD drive. Mouse goes wonky, programs do not load, etc. Reads regular CD's fine...it's what I used to install XP.

I do have a SCSI 2 interface card installed for my HP Scanjet 4P, but no drivers are installed. Could not figure that part out?
SI also reports that under Components/Storage/SCSI - it reports the Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE Controller, and the
driver is c:\windows\system32\drivers\ultra.sys ( 1.43 (Build 0603), 35.88 KB (36,736 bytes), 8/23/2001 6:00 AM)

Any ideas for the mis-representation? SCSI features are turned off in my BIOS, which is an
Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V266-E ACPI BIOS Rev 1011, 8/20/2002. (Newer updates only report as supporting newer Athlon CPU's.)
CPU is an Athlon 1800+, 512 MB of DDR-RAM, lots of everything free.

SI also reports that there are no conflicts or problems. All of this worked MINT in Win 98 SR2.
Please help....Thanx in advance.

You don't have a problem. The Promise IDE controller presents all IDE widgets
as SCSI widgets; not a problem for HDs. You may find that your IDE controller
does not support some optical widgets; if so, move them to the on-board IDE
controller, and just use the Promise controller for HDs.

G

Thanx for the quick reply.
So, to get this right, I should put my DVD drive on a normal IDE connector, (my other CD is a USB,) and leave the 2 HDD's where they are on the Promise
Thanx again & happy holidays

----- Bob Willard wrote: ----

Lippy1 wrote
(Model Maxtor 5 3073H4 SCSI Disk Device) from SI in Window
2 is a Maxtor 6 Y080L0 EIDE (80 GB Master), drive which reports as a SCSI drive
(Model Maxtor 6 Y080L0 SCSI Disk Device) from SI in Window
3 is a HP CD-Writer 8200 USB Device drive which reports the same
4 is an IDE DVD-ROM 16X SCSI Cdrom Device which reports as a SCSI drive
SI also reports that under Components/Storage/SCSI - it reports the Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE Controller, and th
driver is c:\windows\system32\drivers\ultra.sys ( 1.43 (Build 0603), 35.88 KB (36,736 bytes), 8/23/2001 6:00 AM
Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V266-E ACPI BIOS Rev 1011, 8/20/2002. (Newer updates only report as supporting newer Athlon CPU's.
CPU is an Athlon 1800+, 512 MB of DDR-RAM, lots of everything free
Please help....Thanx in advance

You don't have a problem. The Promise IDE controller presents all IDE widget
as SCSI widgets; not a problem for HDs. You may find that your IDE controlle
does not support some optical widgets; if so, move them to the on-board ID
controller, and just use the Promise controller for HDs

M

mrtee

Yes.

I have 2 HDD on an IDE, a CD-ROM and a DVD-ROM on the other IDE. 2 HDD and a ZIP on a Promise Tx2 controller card (shown as SCSI) in SI.

--
Just my 2¢ worth
Jeff
__________in response to__________
| Thanx for the quick reply.
| So, to get this right, I should put my DVD drive on a normal IDE connector, (my other CD is a USB,) and leave the 2 HDD's where they are on the Promise?
| Thanx again & happy holidays.
|

B

Bob Willard

Lippy1 said:
Thanx for the quick reply.
So, to get this right, I should put my DVD drive on a normal IDE connector, (my other CD is a USB,) and leave the 2 HDD's where they are on the Promise?
Thanx again & happy holidays.

----- Bob Willard wrote: -----

You don't have a problem. The Promise IDE controller presents all IDE widgets
as SCSI widgets; not a problem for HDs. You may find that your IDE controller
does not support some optical widgets; if so, move them to the on-board IDE
controller, and just use the Promise controller for HDs.

Yep. Some of those add-in controllers don't support, or don't correctly
support, any widgets except HDs; so, I suggest using only HDs on those
controllers until your system is stable. Later, you may try putting CDs
and DVDs and other widgets on your controller, if you want to experiment;
but, there is no advantage to having them there unless you have too many
widgets.

G

Much appreciated. By doing that, the PC has now found my SCSI scanner. Still having DVD issues, tho'.
Thanx again for your help.

Ask a Question