From: (e-mail address removed)
To: myemailaddress
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 11:15 AM
Subject: Congratulations! You have won one of 100 “Experience Days†from
Microsoft Press!

June 2008

Hi *"My Name Was Here"*

Congratulations! You have won one of 100 “Experience Days†from Microsoft
Press!

From November 1, 2007 to April 30, 2008 Microsoft ran the “Experience
Microsoft Office†promotion which you entered. We are very pleased to
announce that you are one of the winners of our free prize draw.

Shortly you will be receiving an email notification from our competition
partner Corporate Rewards who will grant you access to our dedicated webpage
where you can select the “Experience Day†of your choice.

And then it’s up to you: Make your choice! Our “Experience Days†include
something for everyone. From bungee jumping, quad bike riding, belly dancing
and makeovers to race days, helicopter flying, scuba diving and surfing. Make
your choice and enjoy your personal “Experience Dayâ€!

Congratulations and best wishes,

Gill Le Fevre
Microsoft Office UK Marketing Team

Is this email a hoax or have i really won?

I have never won anything before and am really excited in knowing whether i
really have won. It also corresponds to me by my name in the email and say i
will receive an email from there competition partner Corporate Rewards who
will grant you access to our dedicated webpage where you can select the
“Experience Day†of your choice.

I have not received an email yet from them but only received today this
morning.

All your help would be appreciated. I did enter the microsoft press
competition so it may be genuine but i dont know whether to beleive it or not.

Thank you,
Mat

Bill Yanaire

genie20 said:
Hi Everyone,

I am new here so please bare with me.

Even thou this is not Vista related i am in a bit of shock at the moment
and
need advice.

I received an email from (e-mail address removed)

Congratulations! You have won one of 100 "Experience Days" from Microsoft
Press!

From November 1, 2007 to April 30, 2008 Microsoft ran the "Experience
[...]

Assuming that it's true, you can go to their website but don't input any
personal information. If they ask for bank info then you know right away
it's a scam. If you need to pay a fee to collect a prize then you know it's
a scam.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Sorry, but no one in this newsgroup can supply
you with any information concerning your inquiry.
You'll have to wait for the next email message
as stated in the original email you received.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Hi Everyone,

I am new here so please bare with me.

Even thou this is not Vista related i am in a bit of shock at the moment and
need advice.

I received an email from (e-mail address removed)

Congratulations! You have won one of 100 “Experience Days†from Microsoft
Press!

From November 1, 2007 to April 30, 2008 Microsoft ran the “Experience
[...]

genie20

Thanks for your replys.

I thought someone would might know looking at microsoft email address as it
seems strange with @accessdorcan.co.uk on the end of the email address.

Anyone know how to contact Microsoft to see if it is genuine as most seem to
be for technical support only etc.?

KDE

It's sad we've all had to become so skeptical about such things, but the
fact the email came from something other than a microsoft.com domain is
probably your hint it's not legit. I myself have recently found that a long
lost relative, I didn't even know I had, has passed away in South Africa,
and a nice Reverend has already paid the Exchange Transfer Fees for me.
Once I reimburse him, FedEx will deliver a large box packed with my new
found wealth. :)

Seriously though, whatever you do, if and when you get the follow up email
with the website to go to, DO NOT give them any personal or financial
information. If they want you to pay something in order to claim your prize,
it surely a scam.

Tom [Pepper] Willett

MS uses various third parties for surveys, contests, etc.

:
: Seriously though, whatever you do, if and when you get the follow up email
: with the website to go to, DO NOT give them any personal or financial
: information. If they want you to pay something in order to claim your
prize,
: it surely a scam.
:
:
: : > Thanks for your replys.
: >
: > I thought someone would might know looking at microsoft email address as
: > it
: > seems strange with @accessdorcan.co.uk on the end of the email address.
: >
: > Anyone know how to contact Microsoft to see if it is genuine as most
seem
: > be for technical support only etc.?
: >
: >
: >
:
:

Nonny

Thanks for your replys.

I thought someone would might know looking at microsoft email address as it
seems strange with @accessdorcan.co.uk on the end of the email address.

Anyone know how to contact Microsoft to see if it is genuine as most seem to
be for technical support only etc.?

It's a scam. I'd bet money on it.

Microsoft is NOT in the U.K.

That should have been your first clue.

By the way... Microsoft won't pay you $243 for every email you forward
etc., etc., either.

davidscuthbert

My theory is that you never get ANYTHING for free!!

I may be being a bit defensive, but too many people get sucked into these 'scams'. and end up harrassed and broke!

Steve Thackery

Whois doesn't pick anything up on accessdorcan.co.uk.

On the other hand, a Google search on....

"Gill Le Fevre" Microsoft

....does bring up some sites that seem credible, such as:

blogs.msdn.com

The Google search makes me think this may be genuine, but I'm very puzzled
as to why 'accessdorcan.co.uk' isn't showing up in Whois. Any thoughts,
anyone?

SteveT

Nonny

"Gill Le Fevre" Microsoft

...does bring up some sites that seem credible, such as:

blogs.msdn.com

You want me to send you some email with that as a moniker? Very
simple to do.

Andrew Murray

Nonny said:
It's a scam. I'd bet money on it.

Microsoft is NOT in the U.K.

That should have been your first clue.

By the way... Microsoft won't pay you $243 for every email you forward
etc., etc., either.

HeyBub

genie20 said:
Hi Everyone,

I am new here so please bare with me.

Even thou this is not Vista related i am in a bit of shock at the
moment and need advice.

I received an email from (e-mail address removed)

Saying: (where it says to that where my email address is which i
changed)

Congratulations! You have won one of 100 "Experience Days" from
Microsoft Press!

From November 1, 2007 to April 30, 2008 Microsoft ran the "Experience
[...]

Michael John Ruff

Hi All

For those who think there is no Microsoft in the UK, please get facts right
there is a office in the UK and they do send out emails / mail etc.

Regards

K1966

Yes - it's a genuine prize from Microsoft Press.

I have the same e-mail and I double checked - a link to the competition
appears on a 'moneysavingexpert' forum posting dated February this year. The
link still takes you through to the microsoft office page, though the
competition itself doesn't appear as it has now closed.

Enjoy your win (when the second e-mail arrives!)

genie20

I am so excited. YIPPY I contacted microsoft and they said it is genuine and
will get an email from there corporate partner in a few days.

I have never won a competition before so this is a shock for me.

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Well, he did say he had entered the competition, so why couldn't it be real?

: Sounds like Phishing!
:
: Gordo
:
:
:
: : > Hi Everyone,
: >
: > I am new here so please bare with me.
: >
: > Even thou this is not Vista related i am in a bit of shock at the moment
: > and
: > need advice.
: >
: > I received an email from (e-mail address removed)
: >
: > Saying: (where it says to that where my email address is which i
changed)
: >
: >
: > From: (e-mail address removed)
: > To: myemailaddress
: > Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 11:15 AM
: > Microsoft Press!
: >
: >
: > June 2008
: >
: >
: > Hi *"My Name Was Here"*
: >
: > Congratulations! You have won one of 100 "Experience Days" from
Microsoft
: > Press!
: >
: > From November 1, 2007 to April 30, 2008 Microsoft ran the "Experience
[...]

C.B.

Steve Thackery said:
Whois doesn't pick anything up on accessdorcan.co.uk.

On the other hand, a Google search on....

"Gill Le Fevre" Microsoft

...does bring up some sites that seem credible, such as:

blogs.msdn.com

The Google search makes me think this may be genuine, but I'm very puzzled
as to why 'accessdorcan.co.uk' isn't showing up in Whois. Any thoughts,
anyone?

SteveT

Try www.dorcan.co.uk. I had no problem.

C.B.

keepout

Sounds like Phishing!
Why if she actually entered the contest ?
She might have entered a scam contest.
That doesn't say she didn't actually win. I'd do a google for the 'Experience
Days' contest, and a search at M$ for it.
The minute they ask for a bank account number , SSN, home address, deposit to
send the winnings to, I'd send their number off to the FBI http://www.fbi.gov/
scam section.