Hardware Profiles and Custom Services

Sam

With XP I had setup a "Normal" and "Basic" hardware profile and under each
custom selected what services to start. Essentially I used "Basic" to play
games just starting what was absolutely neccessary. Is there any way you
can do this with Vista? I can't find the dialog for hardware profiles.

Thanks.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Sam,
Hardware profiles are not available in Windows Vista.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Sam" <[email protected]>
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>Subject: Hardware Profiles and Custom Services
|>Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:43:14 -0500
|>
|>With XP I had setup a "Normal" and "Basic" hardware profile and under
each
|>custom selected what services to start. Essentially I used "Basic" to
play
|>games just starting what was absolutely neccessary. Is there any way you
|>can do this with Vista? I can't find the dialog for hardware profiles.
|>
|>Thanks.

I beg to differ - they are still available, albeit on a reduced scale - look
at the the 'log on' tab for services. You can still start/stop services based
on Hardware Profiles.

It is just that the management of profiles has gone out the window as has
the ability to manage devices bases on profiles.

What is the rationale behind this (significant) change ???