Hard Drive

I have Win 2K running on an HP Proliant ML350. I currently have the standard
3 hard drives installed with a raid 5 or raid array. I am running out of
space and need to install an additional scsi hard drive that will be
identical to the other three. I do have 3 open bays. Can I install this and
have it added to the existing raid? If so, How???? If not, what are my
options and how do I do it?

Eric Ortiz \(MCSE, CCEA, CCNA\)

Kevin,

You should be able to expand the array, however, you'll need to verify
the RAID controller is capable of doing so. The utility you would use
is the ACU (Array Configuration Utility - should be located at start ->
programs -> hp system tools -> HP Array Configuration Utility -> HP
Array Configuration Utility - wording may differ depending on version
being used). If you don't see it, you'll need to install it from the
proliant essentials cd package received when the server was ordered.
Highlight the logical drive, and look for an option which reads "Expand
Array".

Should you be unable to expand the array, you could:

1) Backup all data, blow out existing install, recreate RAID 5 (you'd
probably want to add more than just the one additional hard drive, as
this is the extreme option).

Or

2) Just add the spare as a separate logical volume. This depends really
on your current partitioning setup.

Just a couple of quick thoughts, as I do not have an understanding of
your environment.

Hope this helps.

Thks,

Eric J. Ortiz