hard drive space not freed up after deleting files (need a permanent solution)

G

i'm having the same problem as several other people who's posts i've read - when i shift+delete a file, the file gets deleted but no hard drive space is freed up

so far i have not found an adequate explanation as to why this is happening, so i'm still looking for some kind of permanent solution to this problem. as a temporary solution, i have begun using the norton systemworks "wipe info" tool to delete my files, but if the files are large, this process takes a long time to get rid of the files, so i'd really like to find another solution

please, no one suggest that i empty my recycle bin or my norton recycle bin - that's not the problem...thanks.

R

Richard Urban

Shift/Delete "DOES NOT" bypass the Norton Recycle Bin. You have to empty
files from there also.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

holywood said:
i'm having the same problem as several other people who's posts i've
read - when i shift+delete a file, the file gets deleted but no hard drive
space is freed up.
so far i have not found an adequate explanation as to why this is
happening, so i'm still looking for some kind of permanent solution to this
problem. as a temporary solution, i have begun using the norton systemworks
"wipe info" tool to delete my files, but if the files are large, this
process takes a long time to get rid of the files, so i'd really like to
find another solution.
please, no one suggest that i empty my recycle bin or my norton recycle
bin - that's not the problem...thanks.

G

thanks for pointing me in the right direction - shift+delete does remove the files from the norton protected recycle bin, but if you go to the recycle bin properties, norton protects those deleted files by default for a week before it will free that space back up...so all i had to to was disable that protection option and i'm home free

thanks again.

Ask a Question