Hard Drive Problems

Reaction score
I just obtained a 250 GB Seagate 16MB Buffer 7200 RPM Hard Drive and i am having trouble utilizing all of the 250 GB that the hard drive has to offer. I think that i know what the problem is but you take a look and offer any advice that you can. Here is what i have done so far:

I have a Promise ULTRA100 IDE Controller Card that has 4 drives on it:
1x 80 GB
2x 160 GB (1 showing 128GB and the other showing 149GB)
1x 250 GB (The one that i am having problems with.

I flashed the BIOS on the controller card to the newest BIOS that the have to offer from the Promise web site. (Says this at the site: - Supports 48-bit LBA for drives larger than 137 GB) -- : http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=18&category=bios&os=100&go=GO

I also updated the drivers for windows:
http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=18&category=driver&os=0&go=GO

And i am still having the same problem. Only showing 128GB

Here are the spects of my computer:

Dell OptiPlex GX280

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 With SP2

2.8 GHz P4 W/ HT
1 GB Ram
2x Sony DVD-RAM -- DVD+/- RW -- CDRW (On Onboard IDE)
1x 40 GB SATA Hard Drive (Operating Sysyem)
1 IDE Controller Card W/ The 4 Drives Listed Below on it:
1x 80 GB HD
2x 160 GB HD
1x 250 GB Hard Drive (The one i am having trouble with)

All Drives (Except SATA Drive) are set to Cable Select.
(Need any more info tell me.)

Now here is another quirk that puzzles me:
Remember that i told you that i had 2x 160GB had drives (one showing 128GB and one showing 149GB?)
Now if the limit is 128 then why is one of the Drives showing 128 and the other 149? They are on the same Controller Card...... HMMMM :confused:

Well, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question