Hard drive failing? Reallocated Sector count warning

Sam

My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a yellow
highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD Tune. The values
are below:

Should I be concerned?

ID Current Worst ThresholdData
Status

(05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1 Ok

(03) Spin Up Time 180 178 63 16945 Ok
(04) Start/Stop Count 253 253 0 1206 Ok
(06) Read Channel Margin 253 253 100 0 Ok
(07) Seek Error Rate 253 252 0 0 Ok
(08) Seek Time Performance 246 238 187 63919 Ok
(09) Power On Hours Count 241 241 0 54939 Ok
(0A) Spin Retry Count 253 252 157 0 Ok
(0B) Calibration Retry Count 253 252 223 0 Ok
(0C) Power Cycle Count 250 250 0 1212 Ok
(C0) Power Off Retract Count 253 253 0 0 Ok
(C1) Load Cycle Count 253 253 0 0 Ok
(C2) Temperature 31 253 0 31 Ok
(C3) Hardware ECC Recovered 253 252 0 2254 Ok
(C4) Reallocated Event Count 253 253 0 0 Ok
(C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0 Ok
(C6) Offline Uncorrectable 253 253 0 0 Ok
(C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 1 1 0 50588 Ok
(C8) Write Error Rate 253 252 0 0 Ok
(C9) TA Counter Detected 253 252 0 0 Ok
(CA) TA Counter Increased 253 252 0 1 Ok
(CB) Run Out Cancel 253 252 180 0 Ok
(CC) Soft ECC Correction 253 252 0 0 Ok
(CD) Thermal Asperity Rate 253 252 0 0 Ok
(CF) Spin High Current 253 252 0 0 Ok
(D0) Spin Buzz 253 252 0 0 Ok
(D1) Offline Seek Performance 234 234 0 230 Ok
(D2) (unknown attribute) 253 252 0 0 Ok
(D3) (unknown attribute) 253 252 0 0 Ok
(D4) (unknown attribute) 253 249 0 0 Ok

Power On Time : 54939
Health Status : Ok

Andre Majorel

My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD
Tune. The values are below:

Should I be concerned?

ID Current Worst ThresholdData
Status

(05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
(C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0

Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one bad sector.
No need to worry.

Sam

:
: > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
: > yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD
: > Tune. The values are below:
: >
: > Should I be concerned?
: >
: > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
: > Status
: >
: > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
: > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0
:
: Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one bad sector.
: No need to worry.

Bad sector already? WTF? Is it RMAble. Obviously, reformatting won't
fix it just block the writing at the bad sector?

Sam

:
: > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a yellow
highlighted
: > bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD Tune. The values are
below:
:
: > Should I be concerned?
:
: Not if that number doesnt increase.

So just watch these two values?

(05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
(C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0

Arno Wagner

Previously Sam said:
:
: > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
: > yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD
: > Tune. The values are below:
: >
: > Should I be concerned?
: >
: > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
: > Status
: >
: > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
: > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0
:
: Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one bad sector.
: No need to worry.
Bad sector already? WTF? Is it RMAble. Obviously, reformatting won't
fix it just block the writing at the bad sector?

Low numbers of defective sectors are entirely normal on modern
disks (and have been normal since HDs exist...). Today, they get
reallocated by the disk automatically.

As to "WTF": Simple, you do not understand disk technology....

Arno

Andre Majorel

:
: > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
: > yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD
: > Tune. The values are below:
: >
: > Should I be concerned?
: >
: > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
: > Status
: >
: > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
: > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0
:
: Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one bad sector.
: No need to worry.

Bad sector already? WTF?

That's normal. I have disks that have been running fine for
years with a dozen bad sectors. When you need to worry is when
the number of bad sectors exceeds that, or grows fast. In my
experience, that's a sign of impending death.
Is it RMAble.

Probably not.
Obviously, reformatting won't fix it

Doing a low-level reformatting with the manufacturer's utilities
might. But it's hardly worth the trouble, IMO.
just block the writing at the bad sector?

No need to. As the word "reallocated" suggests, the disk has
already remapped the sector. Disks have spare sectors set aside
for that purpose.

Folkert Rienstra

Rod Speed wrote in news:[email protected]
Not if that number doesnt increase.

Typical how an increase from 0 to 1 is not a problem but from 1 to 2 is.

And apparently no-one that 's bothered one bit by the Ultra DMA CRC Error Count.

[cut]

Folkert Rienstra

Sam wrote in news:sh2Ii.4566$A55.2757@pd7urf2no
So just watch these two values?

(05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
(C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0

No.

Folkert Rienstra

Sam wrote in news:sh2Ii.4565$A55.3277@pd7urf2no
"Andre Majorel"wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Bad sector already?

Yes, and?

54939 POH, 1212 PoC.
Like it doesn't get all the chances to run in to one.
WTF? Is it RMAble.
Nope.

Obviously, reformatting won't fix it

Since there's nothing to 'fix', *quite* obviously.
just block the writing at the bad sector?

What bad sector.
What part of "Reallocated" and "Pending" did you not understand.

Sam

: As to "WTF": Simple, you do not understand disk technology....

Perhaps, but I have never had new hard drive that had to have it's
sectors reallocated before. When any of my hard drives were failing in
the past (never been a Maxtor), I would run the manufacturer's
diagnostics and it would then not pass. I would get an RMA. Besides,
with this hard drive I first began suspecting something wasn't right by
noticing some performance issues and corruption of files.

I will see if I can get it an RMA for it.

Franc Zabkar

:
: > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a
: > yellow highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD
: > Tune. The values are below:
: >
: > Should I be concerned?
: >
: > ID Current Worst ThresholdData
: > Status
: >
: > (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
: > (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0
:
: Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one bad sector.
: No need to worry.

Bad sector already? WTF? Is it RMAble. Obviously, reformatting won't
fix it just block the writing at the bad sector?

Hard discs have always shipped with bad sectors. It's in the nature of
the technology.

In the early days of 10MB and 20MB HDs, drives were shipped with a bad
block map on a sticker. The idea was that these bad blocks had to be
re-entered by the user whenever he/she performed a low level format.
These days the bad blocks are detected during manufacturing and
managed internally by the drive's controller.

- Franc Zabkar

Arno Wagner

Previously Sam said:
: As to "WTF": Simple, you do not understand disk technology....
Perhaps, but I have never had new hard drive that had to have it's
sectors reallocated before. When any of my hard drives were failing in
the past (never been a Maxtor), I would run the manufacturer's
diagnostics and it would then not pass. I would get an RMA. Besides,
with this hard drive I first began suspecting something wasn't right by
noticing some performance issues and corruption of files.

Well, the performance drop _is_ a concern. The SMART data is
mot. {ersonally I suspect that some manufacturers simply lie
about small reallocated sector numbers, if the disk managed
to salvage the data.
I will see if I can get it an RMA for it.

Do that. Web wiorks best for Maxtor, but you need to be
creative with the RMA reason, if you do not have a failed SMART
status or the SMART selftest fails.

Arno

Folkert Rienstra

Sam wrote in news:SUdIi.9123$A55.3764@pd7urf2no

Perhaps, but I have never had new hard drive that had to have it's
sectors reallocated before. When any of my hard drives were failing in
the past (never been a Maxtor), I would run the manufacturer's
diagnostics and it would then not pass. I would get an RMA.
Besides, with this hard drive I first began suspecting something wasn't
right by noticing some performance issues and corruption of files.

Which obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the high
"Ultra DMA CRC Error Count".

The babblebots not having a clue, as always.

Sam

: :
: Which obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the high
: "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count".
:
: The babblebots not having a clue, as always.

The issue is NOT the CRC error, which was from a bad IDE drive cable
from a previous computer where the HD came from but the Reallocated
Sector count warning.

Arno Wagner

Previously Sam said:
: :
: Which obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the high
: "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count".
:
: The babblebots not having a clue, as always.
The issue is NOT the CRC error, which was from a bad IDE drive cable
from a previous computer where the HD came from but the Reallocated
Sector count warning.

Don't mind Folkert. He cannot read.

Arno

Folkert Rienstra

Sam wrote in news:KeEIi.207686$fJ5.133133@pd7urf1no
The issue is NOT the CRC error,

You don't know that.
It's the only source for data corruption and another for performance is-
sues. Not when the drive is in UDMA mode but when the OS dumbs down
to MW-DMA or PIO mode due to too many errors and then there's no Ul-
tra DMA CRC Error recovery anymore and corruption occurs undetected.
which was from a bad IDE drive cable from a previous computer.

It may be back.
where the HD came from but the Reallocated Sector count warning.

Bad sectors do not cause corruption, they either can be read or they
can not. Data loss yes, corruption no.

You are looking for a reason to RMA.
Interface errors should do. One bad dector does not.

Mike

Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one badsector.
No need to worry.

Well....this evening I went to boot up my computer I heard a loud
click, click, click noise coming from the hard drive. The system
summary screen booted up and this [slave] drive failed the boot
test. It was not "seen".

After rebooting, the clicking stopped and the drive was recognized. I
ran smart tests and it showed no anomolies ie. it passed all the
tests.

How could the drive make this noise, fail to be recognize yet pass the
diagnostic tests?

TH O

Mike said:
Looking at just these two, your disk has exactly one badsector.
No need to worry.

Well....this evening I went to boot up my computer I heard a loud
click, click, click noise coming from the hard drive. The system
summary screen booted up and this [slave] drive failed the boot
test. It was not "seen".

After rebooting, the clicking stopped and the drive was recognized. I
ran smart tests and it showed no anomolies ie. it passed all the
tests.

How could the drive make this noise, fail to be recognize yet pass the
diagnostic tests?

I don't have the answer but if you haven't already, I would make sure
that you have made a recent good backup of that drive.