Hard Drive Activation

Xonos

Hello everyone! I am just on here with a pretty simple question. I got
a computer tower recently, and it has 2 hard drives. A 40GB and an 80GB.
The only one that is activated (Primary Master is the 40GB). I am
trying to get my computer to recognize the 80GB hard drive. I've
attempted changing the pin cover on the HD to primary slave, but the
BIOS setup still doesn't seem to recognize it.

I was wondering if someone could help me out, maybe give me a little
bit of troubleshooting. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to some
pieces of hardware. It would be greatly appreciated!!

Any more questions regarding the specs of the hardware, feel free to
ask!

Thanks!

Bob I

What is the 80 GB drive attached to? Same cable as the 40GB one? What
brand is the 40 GB? Western Digitals require that Master with slave be
set. The is no pin placement that sets a "Primary Slave", so that term
only relate to the IDE header that the drive is attached to.

Supple more info as to how the drive is connected to the motherboard and
the brands of drive.

Bill Sharpe

Xonos said:
Hello everyone! I am just on here with a pretty simple question. I got
a computer tower recently, and it has 2 hard drives. A 40GB and an 80GB.
The only one that is activated (Primary Master is the 40GB). I am
trying to get my computer to recognize the 80GB hard drive. I've
attempted changing the pin cover on the HD to primary slave, but the
BIOS setup still doesn't seem to recognize it.

I was wondering if someone could help me out, maybe give me a little
bit of troubleshooting. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to some
pieces of hardware. It would be greatly appreciated!!

Any more questions regarding the specs of the hardware, feel free to
ask!

Thanks!
No instructions came with the computer?
Have you tried contacting the seller?
Have you tried an Internet search?

Bill

Xonos

-
No instructions came with the computer?
Have you tried contacting the seller?
Have you tried an Internet search?

Bill

No, I bought it from an auction. I got the CPU only. The 80GB hard
drive that I'm trying to activate is by DeskStar, and it is attached to
the same cable as my current 40GB hard drive. I've tried searches, and
it just seems like there's a tiny little detail that I'm missing. I'm
fairly knowledged on most computer hardware, and I'm actually finding
it strange that I can't activate this. Any suggestions are much
appreciated!

Anna

Xonos said:
No, I bought it from an auction. I got the CPU only. The 80GB hard
drive that I'm trying to activate is by DeskStar, and it is attached to
the same cable as my current 40GB hard drive. I've tried searches, and
it just seems like there's a tiny little detail that I'm missing. I'm
fairly knowledged on most computer hardware, and I'm actually finding
it strange that I can't activate this. Any suggestions are much
appreciated!

Xonos:
First of all, I'm sure that I don't have to tell you that computers bought
at "auction" are suspect from the very get-go. But we'll assume for the
moment that the components in *your* machine are non-defective and
potentially functional, OK?

Secondly, I assume when you use words like "activate" & "activated" you're
referring to a situation where the HDD involved is detected by the system
and is functional in all respects, including its ability to boot should a
valid operating system be installed on the drive, right?

So with all that in mind...

We'll further assume that your 40 GB HDD connected as PM boots without
incident and functions without any problems whatsoever, right? That's what
you mean when you say that drive is "activated", right?

Now you say the 80 GB HDD is not detected in the BIOS. That's an ominous
sign if you've correctly connected the disk in your machine. You say you've
connected it as a Slave to your PM. You're sure you've correctly connected &
configured (jumpered) that drive? Absolutely sure?

What about connecting that 80 GB HDD as Primary Master after disconnecting
the 40 GB one? Still not detected in the BIOS? And what about connecting
that 80 GB HDD anywhere (Master or Slave) on your secondary IDE channel?
Still not detected in the BIOS?

Any chance of installing that 80 GB HDD in another PC as a secondary drive
to determine if it's detected in the BIOS?

Do you have a USB external enclosure in which you could install that 80 GB
HDD and connect it to your PC to see if it's detected that way?

It certainly sounds like a defective HDD, but cover the above and see what
happens.
Anna

Xonos

Anna;2934955 said:
--

"Xonos" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
[...]

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help! Sorry for the late reply. The pin placement
wasn't right. I spent about 10 seconds fixing the problem. Thank
you!!!!