Hard Disk Cooler for Temps above 55C?

E

eli

Thanks again for bearing with me, Paul and Ian. I've learned a thing or two here......

Yes Paul. Some of us are too scard to even open the cover of the machine and look in....Glad I broke that barrier..

The technician came yesterday to have a look inside, and he checked out that little fan on the right-hand side, which I thought might be broken. He said it was working as it should, but only pulls air in to the PSU and hence isnt helping with the HD much..

The real problem he said is that Dell makes an Optiplex GX260 version:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx260/en/ug/sffabout.htm#1103481

which has so narrow a case that it's hard to put more coolers and fans in -aside from that one major central fan which apparently isnt enough to keep the HD cool.. So he had little wiggle room to insert HD coolers and/or fans near the HD. He said there were three options. He can drill a hole on the top of the case , which is currently laying flat, and insert a fan above it to get more air circulation inside.Option two is to leave the PC cover open an inch or so. Option three is to simply put a clip-on fan just outside the grilled cover casing to get more air circulating and keep the temp down inside the case. I did the latter, and the temp is now holding at ~ 40C/104F, compared to the near 59C I was getting two days ago....I hope I can keep it this way when it get considerably hotter over the summer....

There probably are other options within the consraints of that narrow cover.....but I'm not aware of them.

I forgot to ask him about using some of those controls in Speedfan to possibly raise the RPM of the main fan [Item 9 in lower diagram]. Inexperienced users are advised not to tamper with that. Not sure this can really be done with that central fan.

-eli

******************************************************************************************************************

Ask a Question