----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles P Lamb" <>
Newsgroups:
alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.periphs.scanners,comp.periphs.scanners
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 7:05 PM
Subject: Handheld Scanners

I am looking for a handheld scanner to use with a laptop PC to scan pages
out of books. Years ago there were handheld scanners sold which could
simply be dragged across the paper. The major problem with them was they
had proprietary unique interfaces. I can't find any such thing on the
market nowadays. The closest things I found were the DocuPen and the
CanoScan LiDE50. The DocuPen only scans at a sampling rate of 200dpi x
200dpi. The CanoScan is too bulky. I don't get a good enough image
photographing with an inexpensive digital camera. Are there any
alternatives?

thank you,

Charles P. Lamb

Not handhelds but a viable solution
http://www.imageware.de/en/systeme/

Handhelds
http://www.digitallyunique.com/digital-imaging-scanners-handheld.html

google handhelds
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scanners+handheld&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.imageware.de/en/systeme/

Charles P Lamb

Not handhelds but a viable solution

It won't work. I need something portable to go with the laptop.

All the scanners shown here are sheetfed or single line scanners. None of
these are practical for scanning a book page.

This search turns up a whole bunch of pen type scanners--mostly for barcodes
and scanning radios.

Charles P. Lamb

lostinspace

It won't work. I need something portable to go with the laptop.

All the scanners shown here are sheetfed or single line scanners. None of
these are practical for scanning a book page.

This search turns up a whole bunch of pen type scanners--mostly for
barcodes
and scanning radios.

Charles P. Lamb

Charles,
In 1993 I purchased a hand held scanner made by Logitech.
And although the thing worked, it was quite a tedious and very time
consuming effort to achieve success.
Even then, the results were dismal.

I hope your able to find the portability you desire with the features of
overhead/sheet feed scanners, more than likely such a thing however is
non-existent.

Homer J Simpson

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5814976011 ???