GTR-EVO on Steam

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I am going to be perfectly honest and say straight out I don't know what I am doing. That is why I have come to post here.

About 3 months back I purchased GTR - Evolution on Steam and installed it on my XP machine as that was all I had at the time. Since then I have bought my ASUS Windows 7 machine. Which is a million times better spec and would obviously be better for GTR, although it doesn't play to bad on the much lower spec XP machine.
What I would like to know is, am I able to use the BAck up and restore feature in Steam to transfer the game from XP machine to Windows 7 machine ?
If so is it an easy task ?

Evan

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I found the Backup and restore option in steam flakey at best...

Do a fresh install of the Steam client and copy the steamapps folder only to the new install. Should work fine.

I've read that you can copy the whole steam folder and just run the steam.exe and it will sort itself out, not tried it myself though.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
V_R said:
I've read that you can copy the whole steam folder and just run the steam.exe and it will sort itself out, not tried it myself though.

Handy tip! Should come in useful when I next to a clean install :).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I tried the official Steam backup and it took forever and a day to make the backup folder and then crashed on every attempt to reinstall.

In the end I just downloaded everything again which used up a helluva lot of bandwidth.

V_R's suggestion sounds like an excellent idea :thumb:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Solved

floppybootstomp said:
In the end I just downloaded everything again which used up a helluva lot of bandwidth.

V_R's suggestion sounds like an excellent idea :thumb:

I only have GTR-Evo and Call of Duty that I play, so no worries about bandwidth.

V_R thanks for the tip. I did it your way and all went swell.

Thanks for your help guys :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good stuff, what did you do my first suggestion or the second?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
V_R said:
Good stuff, what did you do my first suggestion or the second?

I did your first suggestion. The second sounds easy enough, but I didn't want to be mucking about with different folders when I am not 100% sure what I am doing. Just played a bit of GTR, and what a difference playing on a high spec machine.

Ask a Question