GS wavetable synth broken?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Music' started by Guest, Oct 20, 2007.

    I have a Dell XPS 410, XP MCE 2005 with Sigmatel 9227 onboard audio, and the
    only MIDI option is GS Wavetable synth. I start playing a midi file, either
    through Media Player or in a game, and it's fine for a while, but if I stop
    the player or exit the game, then try to replay the file, I get no midi
    sound, though it still appears to be playing (slider moves).

    1) I have no trouble with any other audio format - .wma, .mp3, .wav, etc.
    2) Nothing is muted - I know all about the sw synth "self muting" problem.
    When midi is playing I can mute or adjust the synth volume with no problem.
    3) DxDiag Music test plays fine using the Microsoft Synthesizer, but Midi
    Mapper and Wavetable synth produce no sound - but there is no error. All
    other DXDiag tests pass fine.
    4) Removed ALL audio drivers in safe mode, rebooted, everything reinstalled
    fine - no change; I have all the latest Sigmatel drivers.
    5) If I restore the pc to a point when midi was working, it says it can't
    restore because there was no change, but I always get the midi back anyway -
    at least for a while. Sometimes a simple reboot works, sometimes not.
    6) I can play midis fine using QuickTime's built-in synthesizer. I also
    found an old file with a .mid extension that plays just fine, but it turns
    out it was using an old legacy codec (Fraunhofer, I think), so it wasn't
    routed through the wavetable.
    7) SFC /scannow sourced from the install CD didn't help, so I've apparently
    got all the files I'm supposed to.

    Basically, I have 3 questions:

    1) Is there anything besides the wavetable synth that can cause this problem?
    2) If it is the wavetable synth, is it fixable without a repair install (or
    with a repair install, for that matter)? Which specific files/drivers should
    I be checking for?
    3) Any clue as to what could be "breaking" the synth sound output? If I
    leave the midi playing in the background it'll play all day - only stopping
    and restarting is a problem.

    Of course the easy answer is to get a new sound card or a new soft synth,
    but it's become a matter of principle, now...

    Guest, Oct 20, 2007

    theplectrum Guest

    "Alex P" <Alex > wrote in message
    >I have a Dell XPS 410, XP MCE 2005 with Sigmatel 9227 onboard audio, and
    >the
    > only MIDI option is GS Wavetable synth. I start playing a midi file,
    > either
    > through Media Player or in a game, and it's fine for a while, but if I
    > stop
    > the player or exit the game, then try to replay the file, I get no midi
    > sound, though it still appears to be playing (slider moves).
    >
    > 1) I have no trouble with any other audio format - .wma, .mp3, .wav, etc.
    > 2) Nothing is muted - I know all about the sw synth "self muting"
    > problem.
    > When midi is playing I can mute or adjust the synth volume with no
    > problem.
    > 3) DxDiag Music test plays fine using the Microsoft Synthesizer, but Midi
    > Mapper and Wavetable synth produce no sound - but there is no error. All
    > other DXDiag tests pass fine.
    > 4) Removed ALL audio drivers in safe mode, rebooted, everything
    > reinstalled
    > fine - no change; I have all the latest Sigmatel drivers.
    > 5) If I restore the pc to a point when midi was working, it says it can't
    > restore because there was no change, but I always get the midi back
    > anyway -
    > at least for a while. Sometimes a simple reboot works, sometimes not.
    > 6) I can play midis fine using QuickTime's built-in synthesizer. I also
    > found an old file with a .mid extension that plays just fine, but it turns
    > out it was using an old legacy codec (Fraunhofer, I think), so it wasn't
    > routed through the wavetable.
    > 7) SFC /scannow sourced from the install CD didn't help, so I've
    > apparently
    > got all the files I'm supposed to.
    >
    > Basically, I have 3 questions:
    >
    > 1) Is there anything besides the wavetable synth that can cause this
    > problem?
    > 2) If it is the wavetable synth, is it fixable without a repair install
    > (or
    > with a repair install, for that matter)? Which specific files/drivers
    > should
    > I be checking for?
    > 3) Any clue as to what could be "breaking" the synth sound output? If I
    > leave the midi playing in the background it'll play all day - only
    > stopping
    > and restarting is a problem.
    >
    > Of course the easy answer is to get a new sound card or a new soft synth,
    > but it's become a matter of principle, now...

    Corruption ?

    Try replacing the Midi Mapper file and the GS Synth file from your XP
    installation disk.

    Cheers,
    Jerry

    theplectrum, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Alex P (Alex ) in
    :

    > I have a Dell XPS 410, XP MCE 2005 with Sigmatel 9227 onboard audio,
    > and the only MIDI option is GS Wavetable synth. I start playing a
    > midi file, either through Media Player or in a game, and it's fine
    > for a while, but if I stop the player or exit the game, then try to
    > replay the file, I get no midi sound, though it still appears to be
    > playing (slider moves).
    >
    > 1) I have no trouble with any other audio format - .wma, .mp3, .wav,
    > etc. 2) Nothing is muted - I know all about the sw synth "self
    > muting" problem. When midi is playing I can mute or adjust the synth
    > volume with no problem. 3) DxDiag Music test plays fine using the
    > Microsoft Synthesizer, but Midi Mapper and Wavetable synth produce no
    > sound - but there is no error. All other DXDiag tests pass fine.
    > 4) Removed ALL audio drivers in safe mode, rebooted, everything
    > reinstalled fine - no change; I have all the latest Sigmatel drivers.
    > 5) If I restore the pc to a point when midi was working, it says it
    > can't restore because there was no change, but I always get the midi
    > back anyway - at least for a while. Sometimes a simple reboot works,
    > sometimes not. 6) I can play midis fine using QuickTime's built-in
    > synthesizer. I also found an old file with a .mid extension that
    > plays just fine, but it turns out it was using an old legacy codec
    > (Fraunhofer, I think), so it wasn't routed through the wavetable.
    > 7) SFC /scannow sourced from the install CD didn't help, so I've
    > apparently got all the files I'm supposed to.
    >
    > Basically, I have 3 questions:
    >
    > 1) Is there anything besides the wavetable synth that can cause this
    > problem? 2) If it is the wavetable synth, is it fixable without a
    > repair install (or with a repair install, for that matter)? Which
    > specific files/drivers should I be checking for?
    > 3) Any clue as to what could be "breaking" the synth sound output?
    > If I leave the midi playing in the background it'll play all day -
    > only stopping and restarting is a problem.
    >
    > Of course the easy answer is to get a new sound card or a new soft
    > synth, but it's become a matter of principle, now...

    I get the impression, that the problem has to do with the stopping: that
    somehow the intended "full stop" is only a "pause", leaving both the MIDI
    device and the MIDI file in use.

    Jerry ("theplectrum") may be right in suggesting corrupted files. But I
    would think of corrupted settings rather than corrupted files. Otherwise you
    wouldn't be able to play the file again correctly.
    But reinstalling may be a way to correct those settings (whatever they are).

    Checking and correcting could be done by firstly performing a disk check
    (with error fixing, can be done inside Windows, but requires a reboot), and
    secondly a Registry check (using a third-party utility).

    Just in case: the GS Wavetable is: <C:\Windows\system32\drivers\gm.dls>.

    I would almost exclude the sound card from suspection. If it can accept
    digital sound from a WAV file or from the output of a software synthesizer,
    then it works properly (in this respect).

    A workaround and comparison would be the use of another software
    synthesizer, like http://www.synthfont.com/, but there are catches in using
    such as the default MIDI device.

    --
    Chris Laarman

    Chris Laarman, Oct 20, 2007
  4. On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:49:51 +0200, Chris Laarman wrote in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.music:

    [snip]
    >Just in case: the GS Wavetable is: <C:\Windows\system32\drivers\gm.dls>.

    Just out of curiosity: have you tried a different DLS file?

    PS: You need to manipulate the registry value at
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectMusic\GMFilePath (REG_EXPAND_SZ)
    to tell Windows which DLS file you want to use; no reboot necessary
    between changes, just stop/start the MIDI player.

    Michael Bednarek, Oct 20, 2007

    Wow! Thanks to all you guys for your tips. The easy ones (chkdsk, registry
    check) haven't panned out, but I'm working through it.

    This is a pretty slow process, since the midi keeps coming back and behaves
    itself for a good while, so when (if) I get it nailed down I'll post back on
    what it was. Plus I'm a recovering Win98 user, so I've got to get up to
    speed on file protection and XP drivers etc. etc...

    Thanks again..

    Alex

    PS RANT: Am I the only poor old geezer who's stuck between the Grand Theft
    Auto 7.1 channel cd audio surround sound crowd and the professional midi
    musician $300 sequencer crowd? Shoot, I just wanna indulge my Sierra and
    Lemmings addictions....

    Guest, Oct 21, 2007

    I think I've found the enemy, and it is I.

    I installed AVG Free antivirus last month as a strictly manual backup scan
    for the real-time PC-Cillin antivirus/firewall. Knowing the potential for
    conflicts, I had the sense to disable AVG real-time protection and automatic
    updates, and thought I made sure it wasn't in startup or running anything as
    a service. Disabled or not, something was going on in there. Heaven knows
    why MIDI output was the only obvious problem with this setup.

    It's been uninstalled for 2 days and I've had 0 midi problems. I
    reinstalled it once just for giggles and sure enough, midi was gone again.

    I've learned my lesson - always check EVERYTHING that's changed, no matter
    how unlikely it seems. And maybe 2 antiviruses can't get along no matter how
    you set it up.

    I ordered a new PCI sound card with onboard midi - just in case I'm still
    wrong.

    Thanks for the help, everyone - I tried most everything suggested and ended
    up learning a whole lot.

    Guest, Oct 23, 2007
  7. Alex P () in
    :

    > I've learned my lesson - always check EVERYTHING that's changed, no
    > matter how unlikely it seems. And maybe 2 antiviruses can't get along
    > no matter how you set it up.
    >
    > I ordered a new PCI sound card with onboard midi - just in case I'm
    > still wrong.
    >
    > Thanks for the help, everyone - I tried most everything suggested and
    > ended up learning a whole lot.

    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, strange things can happen.

    (I have had trouble using certain anti-virus sofware and navigating a
    certain music-related web site. I have had to delete some shared DLL file in
    order to get an installer to work.)

    --
    Chris Laarman

    Chris Laarman, Oct 24, 2007