Grouped Objects in MS-Excel 2007

G

Girish Dodd

Hi,

I have been a regular user of Ms-Excel 2000 / 2003.But I have being forced to switch to 2007 version on my office computer :(, of the many issues, one problem that I have is like this

I have grouped objects ( Rectangles with Text ). To be precise I have grouped 10 rectangular objects in a manner that it seems as a table with 5 'rows' and 2 'columns'.

Well you might wonder why can't I use cells instead of a drawing object, Now this ( grouped objects ) is like a "header" that I want to use in most of the MS Excel documents that I work with. So even if I resize the columns ( below the header) to different widths, the grouped objects ( so called header ) will remain unmoved as I have chosen the option
Size and Properties -> Properties -> Don't move or size with cells. All fine until now.

Now MS-Excel 2007 still allows a user to select a individual object ( one of the rectangles) and move it left, right and center. As far as I remember earlier whenever objects are grouped they could not be resized/moved independantly of the other objects that they are grouped with.

Of course there is a feature to protect the worksheet, but when protected, this does not allow me to edit the text in the rectangles.

Is there is any way that i can prevent an individual object ( part of group ) from moving / resizing independantly by itself ? without using the protect option ?

Thanks in advance
Girish

Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Silverlight: Handling Cross-Domain Images and Gifs
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...45-6b76a40ea43d/silverlight-handling-cro.aspx

B

Bob Umlas

Since the group rectangle expands when you move one of the rectangles,
keeping it inside the group, I'd say this is a feature, not a bug, but it
was a surprise to me too. You can take a screenshot of the rectangles and
use that picture instead of the grouped rectangles and nobody will be able
to grab just one item.
HTH
Bob Umlas, Excel MVP

in message news:[email protected]...

Ask a Question