Group Policy based upon a group

Stephanie

hi..
has anyone ever setup a group policy, based on an AD
group, that does soemthing on startup? I am trying to
learn this on my own...as well as pick all your brains..

Thanks

Robert Michon

You can R Click the group, press Properties and click the
Group Policies tab.

Set the policies here and they will apply only to that
group. Remember not to create policies here that would
conflict with policies further up the chain.

Bob Michon

Jordan

Robert, are you sure that such feature is available? I have not come across
a Group Policy tab for groups :)

Group Policy can only be applied to containers (i.e. Site, Domain or OU).
They cannot be applied to Groups.
To apply group policy to Groups, you can:
(1) Create an OU, put all the users in the OU and specify a GPO for the OU.
(2) If the users (for the group) are dispersed among different OUs, you can
specify the GPO at the top of the hierarchy which encompasses all the users'
OUs and use security filtering to limit the GPO to be applied only to the
group.

By default, Authenticated Users are granted 'Read' and 'Apply Group Policy'
rights which means that the GPO will be applied to all users. To limit the
GPO to a specific security group, remove these permissions for the
Authenticated User and grant these permissions to only the security group
which you wants the GPO to be applied.

Ben [MSFT]

This is actually incorrect. You can not apply GPOs to "group" objects.
You can only create and apply them on site objects, domain object or OUs.
In addition if you had an OU with a GPO linked to it and placed the group
in that OU the GPO would still not apply to the users of the group.

GPOs will only apply to user and computer objects not group objects.

blim