Grapics advice needed

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi I've just bought the pc below from e-bay ,:p yeah I can hear the groans already . It was only £75 + £12.50 postage . I got it as a starter pc for a disabled friends child . Looked on the net for specs and stuff and drew a virtual blank , as far as I can tell it has an AGP slot for upgrading the graphics , don't know if its a 2X or4X though .. I want to beef up the graphics as cheaply as possible and am unsure as to what card the processor could handle . Any info would be greatfuly recieved . Thanks .

The same people on e-bay have a ,

Connect3D RADEON 7000 32 MB Graphic Card £1 start

or a ,

Retail Boxed New Celestica Radeon 9200 256MB Video Card for £28.90

which they would send post free with the pc . I'd go for the £1.00 if it would help with the graphics even if only a little bit , whats a pound after all . Read up a bit on the Radeon and was unsure if it was worth the money or if I could get a much better card for a few quid more . Thanks . :D

GRADE A
FUJITSU SIEMENS SCENIC Di845 D1322
PENTIUM 4 1.5GHZ PROCESSOR
512MB RAM
40GB HARD DRIVE
CD-ROM
30 DAY R.T.B WARRANTY

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Start by D/Ling everest

It will tell you what you got.....

As for the GFX, the second one you mentioned would be the obvious choice, but wait til someone else voices their opinion before you commit. :)

But imo ebay for pc parts is like buying a raffle ticket. ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the link .

If the £1.00 beefed up the graphics I'd buy it . The Radeon 9200 I can get cheaper from a reputable on-line company along with the peace of mind that brings , warranty etc . I agree that its best to buy expensive parts from reputable companies , it only takes a bit of searching to find a good buy . However you can't beat e-bay for dirt cheap and cheerful and they do have some good stuff for older machines . If the pc works ok I'll have got a real bargin as round here in the lakes people are selling secondhand 500MHz machines for around £150 which is a real rip of in my opinion . :cool:

Reaction score
If I were you I'd go for the 9200, and get it from somewhere else with a warrenty. Either that or a geforce 6200, which would be a little better. I heard somewhere that the next version of Windows will necessitate a DirectX 9.0 graphics card. Which the 6200 is.

You're not going to be playing games tho, right? Because these cards are only good for smoother page-scrolling and watching MPGs and stuff. Or possibly 2D games.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Found these cards that are within my budget,

GEFORCE FX 5500 256 DDR DVI TV *AGP* £31.99

ASUSTeK VGA agp8x nVidia FX5200 128MB composite (1xDVI-D/2xVGA) tv-out£28.08 (ex vat) £32.99 (inc vat

and I know I can get the 9200 on-line for around £30.00 . Surely youd be able to play some of the older games with one of these cards and the 1500 MHz processor on the pc . I can play some games on my old 1300 MHz with just on-board graphics , not looking to play any of the latest or even last years games . I.m just looking to beef up the system a little on the cheap . I'll look into the 6200 card aswell . But which would be the most suitable . :confused:

Ask a Question