Granting permission rights to Power users to modify Environment Variables


G

Guest

Hi

I have a Windows XP Professional and the users are all having power users rights. A tricky request from them is to have access to modify the environment variables settings. I have tried to grant permission for the registry but it still can't work

anyone has idea where i can grant permission rights to allow power users to modify the environment variables

Thanks :)
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Juan

Greetings:

Machine configuration\Windows configuration\security configuration\Local
directives\user rights assignment\modify firmware enviroment values\add
users or group. Get more details in Start Menu\Helpcenter, type;
environment variables settings.

Hope this helps.

--------------Original Message-------------

starsky said:
Hi,

I have a Windows XP Professional and the users are all having power users
rights. A tricky request from them is to have access to modify the
environment variables settings. I have tried to grant permission for the
registry but it still can't work.
anyone has idea where i can grant permission rights to allow power users
to modify the environment variables?
 
G

Guest

Hi

forgotten to tell you that I did try the modify firmware environment but it still can't work. The help & support stated that only administrator can modify the system environment variables. Is there any way?
 
J

Juan

Go to :
Start\Run\Gpedit.msc\Machine Configuration\Windows Configuration\Security
Configuration\Local Directives\in Security Options and/or User rights
assignment look for specific directives to assign users rights and in your
case look for; Accounts: state of administrators account this must be
enabled.. If this does not work, you may have to login in safe mode and
proceede to recover administrator rights.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305


Hope this helps.


-------------------------------------------------------------------
starsky said:
Hi,

forgotten to tell you that I did try the modify firmware environment but
it still can't work. The help & support stated that only administrator can
modify the system environment variables. Is there any way?
 
G

Guest

I tried to configure Power Users in the Group Policy, but still can't. I compared the Group Policy in Windows 2000 Professional & XP, can't really find the difference. *sob sob*
 
J

Juan

Try in Start\Run\control userpasswords2\Users tab\properties\belonging to
group.. try some of the groups you'll find in the drop down window like
authenticated or advanced users.. if this doesnt work consider giving them
administrative rights temporarily, once they have made what they need to do,
remove them from the administrators group, the settings may stick.. or even
the rights... or even create a special group and assign high security
rights to that group by means of the security tab in file properties, enable
the tab by disableing the simple file sharing in folder options\view....
In the system32 folder go into the security tab and add the special group
then apply full rights to that group to a specific folder or even in the
C:\Drive which will cover the whole system I believe this can give users
allmost administrative rights if you check Total control....
This link will help you setting full rights to users or groups.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
us/acl_take_ownership.mspx
Prove this theory and let us know....

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------
starsky said:
I tried to configure Power Users in the Group Policy, but still can't. I
compared the Group Policy in Windows 2000 Professional & XP, can't really
find the difference. *sob sob*
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

Hi juan

I can't give the user administrative rights due to it's a shared computer. Even giving them full rights in the system folder, the "edit" button in the System Variables panel is still disabled. I'm looking for freeware that goes into security. If I can make it work, I will post the answer up :

Thanks... :)
 
J

Juan

Hi Starsky;

Try this program,.. for private use it's arround $10.00 uscy. for a work
enviroment it's arround $50.00uscy. I have'nt tried it so I can't give you
an honest opinion but it's supposed to be one of the best regarding
security.
If you try it and later have to delete it, you may want to revert changes
before removal because any settings will remain after that.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_seccons_scrn.htm

http://www.dougknox.com


----------------- Original Message-----------------
starsky said:
Hi juan,

I can't give the user administrative rights due to it's a shared computer.
Even giving them full rights in the system folder, the "edit" button in the
System Variables panel is still disabled. I'm looking for freeware that goes
into security. If I can make it work, I will post the answer up :)
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

Hi juan

*phew* finally I got it to work :

Here's the solution I found (might have better ones out there)

Download setx from http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/setx-o.as

Maybe one cons of this toolkit is that it requires command prompt instead of GUI. But I personally like to use command prompt. You will still find the 'New, Edit, Delete' buttons in 'Environment Variables > System variables' in Windows XP disabled. But you can use setx this command in command prompt after downloading the toolkit and extract the .exe file

*One important thing before using is the give rights to Power Users. Go start > run > regedt32. Browse to "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment", right click and click "Permissions". Give full rights (you may try not to give full rights, as I am running out of time, so I gave full rights) to power users

After which, you can login to a account (with power user rights only), go to command prompt and use setx

Hope this helps :D
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top