Reaction score
nice new part of the forum

any of you got W7 yet?

(sounds like a post code in London) lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I do indeed :D

Running it in VirtualBox at the moment, just to have a little play. It seems much faster, so should be a good release if this is what the beta looks like already. Like people have said so many times before (but worth repeating, as it's true IMO), it's what Vista should have been .

Reaction score
Still trying Vista within VMWare!:blush:
May wait a while before using it within a Virtual environment.
Not sure what the specs are for running it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The specs for Windows 7 about the same as Vista : 1Ghz CPU, 512MB Ram, 64MB graphics. :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
1Ghz CPU, 512MB Ram, 64MB graphics.
Pure masochism.
laughingsmiley.gif

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Does anyone else get bored of all the Windows bashing???

I installed W7 and its pretty much Vista, will buy it when the 1st service pack is released.

I read that the operating requirements for Linux are a Rocket Scientist or a bin? :lol:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Does anyone else get bored of all the Windows bashing???
That wasn't bashing - don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly able and willing to do that as well given a decent chance. :p

No. I have Win7 Beta installed in VirtualBox. The host computer is a 2.2 Athlon (ide HDD). I've given the virtual Windoze a whole gig of RAM... it would definitely need more. More processor oomph, more RAM. A faster disk as well.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Only joking matey.

Yeah the minimun requirements are the absolute minimum required.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That wasn't Windows bashing, Vista/Seven would run horrendously slow on minimum spec hardware so in my book it really would be masochism.

And no, I never get tired of Windows bashing, if something is wrong then it deserves criticism.

Right now I'm quite disgusted with Microsoft for making all Vista purchasers fork out again because they made a mistake.

As I've said before, all Vista licence holders should get a free copy of Seven as a Service Pack, not have to lay out another hundred quid.

I like Windows, I like Vista, I don't like Microsoft for many reasons which I won't go into again but their business practices leave a lot to answer for.

And FWIW I also get tired of Linux nutters, those who hold it up to be the best thing since sliced bread. I have never yet run a Linux Distro without running into snags. The latest snag I have is that Mint 6 shows many errors on boot and takes a full three minutes to boot. And I can't seem to be able to patch UT2004.

The closest I came to a perfect Linux Distro was Suse V10.0 about three years ago, that was good but it was a helluva job to get everything running as they didn't include codecs and some media software.

Linux is not for everybody, it's difficult imo and has a steep learning curve. But it's free and it works and in many ways is better than Windows. But let us not forget that Microsoft are far from perfect and their products cost lots of money.

Vista Ultimate and a full copy of Windows Office = around £600.00.

Linux Mint 6 and Open Office = £00.00 :thumb:

Reaction score
Yep I downloaded it about a week ago, I can say I look it a lot, think its better than Vista the compatabilty wizard is great the best its ever been in all windows versions. its a lot faster than vista and uses less cpu and ram usage. I will be buying it when it comes out, wonder if it will be around the same price as vista?

Reaction score
Don't know anything about this.

When is it going to be released?

Do they expect people to fork out another £50 for an OEM after they forced us dragging and screaming to upgrade to their shiny new Vista, which, being on my laptop, I can safely say has pretty much no advantage over XP except taking up much more HD space and eating my resources?

I do hate Micro$oft.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Personally i hate Vista...it makes a reasonably quick XP middle range PC ...slow....browsing and loading applications , like its analyzing every question or decision you make...and taking an eternity... My opinion thats just Microsoft getting you to buy its next magnificient offering....

BTW my lappie has Vista ..my desktop xp and i have formatted and changed OS :)

IMO

Ask a Question