Windows XP Google Updater

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I use Google Toolbar in each of the browsers (FF and IE7) on XP-Pro. It is useful, but the one thing which really bugs me, is the auto-updater. I have read (in Google's own help section) that it is not possible to switch off this feature :(

The reason why I find it annoying, is that being on dial-up, I like to connect at times convenient to myself (bearing in mind that one has to observe time limitations, unlike broadband) But if I forget to physically unplug the modem, it dials-up - despite the fact that I have even "blocked" the Google Toolbar updater in Zone Alarm, which is a bit naughty I think.

I know that I have the option to uninstall, but as I said, I find it useful... so I just wondered whether anyone knew of a "workaround" of some kind please? Or is it really an impossibility (as I suspect.)

Thank you for reading :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yeah, bloody annoying innit ...

It's a service, as such you can disable it, but remember to run it occasionally to get any updates ... it works for the broad spectrum of Google products, so if you have Google Earth or Picasa then the "updater" will update them also if needed.

In Vista, just type the word service from the start globe to gain access to the correct program

:thumb:

Attachments

• google update.JPG
    google update.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 90

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you Mucks!

I haven't installed it on Vista - yet - because I didn't want both PCs vying with each other to connect for the updates... however, now that I know the solution, I'll probably install it on there too.

Meanwhile, I have just disabled the Google updates on XP, so am feeling a happy bunny again :D

Your answer was really helpful, because I just hadn't thought of looking in "Services" :rolleyes: How daft was that :lol:

:thumb: :thumb: :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Naw, you ain't daft ... ;)

There are a few of our favorite "toys" that run as a services, seems to be the in-thing at the moment ... always worth checking.

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It's doing it again

Apologies for resurrecting this, but whilst it worked, and whilst I have not re-set anything, somehow Google seems to be getting around it's "disabled update" status. It began to try dialling out again, just as before, which is a bit cross-making.

I checked "Services" to see whether another entry had somehow appeared, but no. There was only the one that I'd disabled for Google. So just wondered whether there is anywhere else that I should check or is Google just going to override my settings? :rolleyes: It seems to be pretty persistent (this is on XP)

Thank you for looking :D

Ask a Question