Google Software Updater

Reaction score
Recently the task "Google Software Updater" has appeared in my Scheduled Tasks folder (Windows XP Home SP2).

Its schedule means that often when I start up I get the annoying "some scheduled tasks did not execute..." message.

However, if I change this task's schedule, disable it, or even delete it completely, it reappears with its original settings within a few days.

Are Google sneakily setting this task on my computer whenever I use them? Can I stop it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It might have come with something like Google Toolbar, Picasa or another of the free Google programs. You should be able to disable it using the following:

• Click the Start menu on your computer taskbar.
  • Select Programs.
  • Select Google Updater.
  • Select Google Updater again in the submenu.
  • Click the Preferences tab.
  • Click the Advanced options link.
  • In the 'Updates' section, select 'Let me check for updates myself'
  • Then click the Save Preferences button.

http://www.google.com/support/pack/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35735

Reaction score
Great! Thanks, Ian. I never noticed it as an installed program.

Must have come with a recent version of Google Earth. It's a bit sneaky, isn't it?

Reaction score
gplondon said:
Must have come with a recent version of Google Earth. It's a bit sneaky, isn't it?

Yup thats where you would have got it from..It comes as part of Google Chrome...Unchecking the box would have stopped it downloading....Not really sneaky if you research what you download...

Ask a Question