ntBackup parameters, how to use....

Reaction score
Hi all,

My workplace uses NT backup (scheduled task -> Backup). I tried googling about this but I didn't seem to hit anything that describes using it. I am using Windows XP Professional S3.

I am trying to save my documents to a server (called fileserver) using incremental on a daily basis.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe "@C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\TannisBackup.bks" /n "Media created 9/12/2007 at 5:00 PM" /d "Set created 9/12/2007 at 5:02 PM" /v:no /r:no /rs:no /hc:blush:ff /m incremental /j "tannisbackup" /l:s /f "\\Fileserver\C\backups\tannis\tannis.bkf"

When I try running it I get result 0x57

The TannisBackup.bks file does exist in that location, and the scheduled task is called tannisbackup.

Any ideas? Any information you'll need to know?

Reaction score
That is indeed a very helpful page. Now all those strange looking parameters have meaning :) .

I finally found how to make a selection file properly, once that was done it seems to work fine. I just loaded a selection file from the backup wizard (after creating one by saving the bkf file in notepad as bks), and then making the necessary changes and saving it.

Thanks again!

Ask a Question