Windows XP Going away need to create Batch file

Reaction score
Hi guys, i am going away soon on a contract job, but before i go i need to ensure the wife will not clog/knacker up my system, thats where ii need your help.

I want to create a Batch file so i can schedule it to:
Delete cookies
Delete internet history
update anti-virus (this i know i can do through AVG console)
empty recycle bin.
Run Outlook Calendar (as this will have all my online appointments and messages for her to read (hoping not to forget to book things too)

I have tried searching online but there are that many variants i need an dummies guide.

All my programs & O/S on C: drive located and running Win XP pro.

Many thanks

Gav

Reaction score
gavbam said:
i need to ensure the wife will not clog/knacker up my system,
So do you not trust her then?
If your this concerned may be you should password protect the pc, give you wife limited access through her own account & disable so she can not add/remove programs. Or just unplug it and store it until you return if your that concerned!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Right some help then, i'm not that up on creating a batch file.
Can you not set up an account for your wife and set her up so as a user she can not alter or setup programms, can you also set up so that tasks can be carried out at set times?

The amount of cookies & internet history would not be much over say a 6 month period. Could you not make a list with instructions on what to do?

May be someone on the late shift will be able to help more than me:thumb:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
What web browser are you using. I think firefox can be set to delete cookies and history automatically every time the browser is closed, rather than having to do it manually. Not sure about IE or other browsers though (they may do something similar, but i can only vouch for FF at the mo).

As for the anti-virus, you should be able to get it to automatically check for updates at a defined period (daily/weekly/monthly etc) most will also give you a option to set the time of day for the updates to take place. Although, your PC obviously has to be on at that time for the update to commence.

As for emptying the recyle bin, not sure how to schedule a empty, but you can set up XP so when you delete files they are instantly deleted, so they dont even go to the recycle bin. If you're sure your wife's not likely to delete anything important, then this may be a good option. To enable this behaviour, right click on your desktop "Recycle Bin", then tick the box that says "Do Not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted.", then just click Apply.

Not sure about Outlook Calendar, but if we got everythig else covered, can your wife simply open up Outlook calendar manually whenever she turns on the computer. If you get rid of all the unnecesarry icons from your desktop before you go, and then place a link to Outlook Calendar right in the middle of your desktop, and tell her all she needs to do is click that. Seems easiest option. I presume you can place a icon on your desktop (although if you do need some quick pointers, please ask.)

Hope some of that will help you. Any further help, just let us know. :)

Reaction score
cheers guys for the reponse(s) i have finally managed to do it, even with some prompts. Firefox can delete when the browser closes and i have scheduled outlook to start everyday at 0530 and show the calendar.

cheers guys
Gav

Ask a Question