Giving User Access to Defrag

Ben

Hi,

I have a user who likes to defrag her workstation at least once a month
(although I've explained she doesn't need to do it this often), however we
recently we removed users from their local admin groups, as they were
installing their own software, however this stops defrag from running. Is it
possible to keep a users restricted, but still allow access to defrag? I was
hoping 'Set Default Program Access' would be able to do this, but it doesn't
look like it.

Cheers

Ben

I would personally recommend defragging more than monthly, Diskeeper defrags
daily on my machine which keeps it running in tip top shape.

Anyway to your question I would personally alter the domain policy if your
on a networked domain or the local group policy of the person's computer if
your not.

Andy W

Ben

Hi,

Sorry, forgot to say. We're on a Windows 2003 domain, clients are Windows XP
SP2.
Just found the setting in GP under user right assignment, 'Perform Volume
Maintenance tasks' didn't see it earlier, have added domain users to the
list.

Thanks for the help

Ben

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You don't say how you are configured. It's called Perform Volume Maintenance

Ben

Hi Andy,

Yeah I was trying to see what setting in the domain policy it was. David
pointed me in the right direction, "Perform Volume Maintenance" added domain
users to that, and will give it a test tomorrow when the user is back in the
office!

Ben

Cool, good luck.

Andy W

Ben said:
Hi Andy,

Yeah I was trying to see what setting in the domain policy it was. David
pointed me in the right direction, "Perform Volume Maintenance" added domain
users to that, and will give it a test tomorrow when the user is back in the
office!

Ben

Ben

Well I set 'Perform Volume Maintenance' to Domain Users in user right
assignment, but our domain users still can't perform a defrag.
Is there anything else that I need to set?

Ben