Giving desktop Linux a try

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
[font=Arial,Helvetica]In this interesting guest column, Doug Roberts, a desktop Linux user for about two years, shares his perspective on switching from Windows to Linux, and what to think about when you decide to take the plunge. After an initial, unsuccessful attempt to install Xandros, Roberts tried a Knoppix live CD and soon installed Knoppix on his PC's hard drive, which has since morphed into "an almost pure Debian system." His Linux distro experience didn't stop there, however -- he's also dabbled with Mepis, Ubuntu, Kanotix, Puppy Linux, and others, and has seen (and is impressed by) SUSE. Roberts says all he really wanted, when he embarked on his Linux quest, "was to get away from XP's online vulnerabilities." However, after a few months of using Linux, he "realized one day that [he] was using Linux just about all the time." At this point, his desktop is occupied by Linux "well over" 95 percent of the time

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3688964005.html

Well worth a read ... :thumb:

user.gif

[/font]

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Folks who are persistant almost always find Linux to their advantage. The learning curve maybe steep but it is worth it in the long run. I have used Linux in the past and I also implemented the Linux system in the entire office but due to accounts department having problems with Foxpro we had to unfortunately switch back to Windows after a week. Those who used Linux in the office felt it was a better system and more responsive.

The first opportunity I get I would switch to Linux and have no need to look back. Linux does whatever I want it too do. It has everything I need.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
On reflection, I don't think the "learning curve" is steep, more awkward, because you are not sure where everything is. You end up doing as you would in Windows, although some things are the same, others can be a little harder to find.

I found the same "problems" using Vista, they have buried once easy accessible menus, but I have also found the 'key' on how to do things in Vista.

I can see a lot of questions and a lot of Vista help sites popping up very soon. ;)

Reaction score
Very good read

Great information in there
nod.gif

I need to get myself another HD so I can install it properly and have a play.

Ask a Question