Ghost file

Ray

Windows X Pro Sp2

A jpg image was downloaded to an image file. When I try to delete it I get
the message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

Properties show it as 0 bytes and 0 size but the file name remains in the
directory. I deleted the one reference in the registry, opened Safe Mode and
located the file with the same message "Cannot delete ...

There must be a way to remove it but it's a mighty sneaky one. I used three
different virus searchers with no hits.

Ray

--
Visit my ALL NEW website at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/552944637eIHxeH

Wesley Vogel

MULTIPOSTED in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

You do not give the name and file extension.

Cannot delete file Cannot read from the source file or disk

You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

See: Invalid File Names here...
How to locate and correct disk space problems on NTFS volumes in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315688

How to Remove Files with Reserved Names in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/120716

How to Remove Files with Reserved Names in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315226

<quote>
Cause 3: File system corruption is preventing access to the file
You may not be able to delete the file if the file system is corrupted. To
resolve this issue, run the Chkdsk utility on the disk volume to correct any
errors.

Bad sectors on the disk, other faulty hardware, or software bugs can corrupt
the file system and put files in a problematic state. Typical operations may
fail in a variety of ways. When the file system detects corruption, it logs
an event to the event log and you typically receive a message that prompts
you to run Chkdsk. Depending on the nature of the corruption, Chkdsk may or
may not be able to recover file data; however, Chkdsk returns the file
system to an internally consistent state. For additional information about
using the Chkdsk utility, click the following article numbers to view the
articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Error message: The file or directory is corrupt...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176646

An explanation of the new /C and /I Switches that are available to use with
Chkdsk.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835
<quote>
from...
You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

<quote>
If a message MUST be posted to multiple groups, post a single message and
select all the groups (or type their names manually, separated by commas) in
which you want it to be seen. This is called Crossposting and when used
properly it is *GOOD*.

This question was posted individually to multiple groups.

This is called Multiposting and it's *BAD*.

Replies made in one group will not be visible in the other groups, which
may cause multiple people to respond to a question with the same answer
because they didn't know someone else had already done it.

This is a waste of time.
<quote>

With Outlook Express, which you're using...

To send your message to multiple newsgroups on the same news server, in the
New Message dialog box, click the icon next to Newsgroups. In the Pick
Newsgroups dialog box, click one or more newsgroups from the list (hold down
the CTRL key to select multiple newsgroups), and then click Add. You can
choose from all newsgroups or only those you subscribe to by clicking Show
only subscribed newsgroups.

You can send a given message to more than one newsgroup at a time only if
all the newsgroups are on the same news server. To post a message to
newsgroups on other news servers, create a separate message for each news
server.

In the Newsgroups box in a message it would look like:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User