GG posting problem (reported by Ken Johnson)

Joe User

Thanks Joe User, I might just leave it in the too-hard-basket.

Yes, it is.

Especially since your use of the phrase "no longer see" below suggests that
the deletion in GG is deferred, and since we cannot confirm successful
communication of the message to GG in the first place unless and until we
see it in MSNews, which is delayed. (And we don't know that we will always
see it in MSNews even if it is deleted in GG. That is, we don't know how
consistent that behavior is.)

All of that means: it will take many minutes to determine the success or
failure of each test, with a great deal of unpredictability. Very
time-consuming. Very error-prone; lots of opportunity for
misinterpretation.

BTW I see your response to my message but I no
longer see my message.

Well, now this is piquing my interest.

I start with the theory (wild-ass guess, really) that some part of your
original response triggers a filter (or scrubber) on the GG server. For
that reason, I have removed that text from this response.

Ironically, I was going to mention that in my first response to you, but I
forget. So I foolishly retained the offending(?) text in my response as
well.

Although foolhardy of me, it turned out to give us another piece of the
puzzle. The fact that my postings survive in GG, but yours do not, suggests
to me (again, a wild-ass guess) that the filter acts on the front-end, i.e.
messages posted through the GG web interface, but not on the back-end, i.e.
messages received using the NNTP protocol, which is how NG messages
propagate server-to-server.

Perhaps not useful in identifying the cause of the trigger. But it might be
useful to you in the future: if you encounter this problem (lost messages
in the GG server) in the future, you might try an alternative means of
posting the message. The MS Discussion Groups
(http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups) should be just as
accessible to you as GG. But if you can access the MSNews server, that is
usually more reliable. Use Outlook Express, Windows Mail, or perhaps
Outlook, among others.

Finally, you might have inadvertently narrowed down the part of the content
of your original response that is triggering the filter (if indeed that is
what happens; remember: these are all wild-ass guesses for now). There are
parts of the excerpt of the original response included in your message in
the "Why messages fail" thread that are different from your original
lines.

Of course, any experimentation should be done in a test NG, e.g.
m.p.test.here. But if you cannot reproduce the problem there, it might
because the (GG) policies are different for the two NGs. Sigh.

Many variables to work with before I sleep :). I am losing interest
already ;-).

Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 14:43:09 -0800 (PST)

Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 16:28:46 -0800 (PST)

Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:03:05 -0800 (PST)

Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 07:03:14 -0800 (PST)

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 06:40:22 -0800 (PST)

(MSNews m.p.e.misc article numbers 888882, 888886, 888912, 889048 and
889180
respectively.)

If you want to investigate this further, you might try starting with a GG
search using the those messages IDs.

And you might try posting the body of those messages in test messages
posted
to m.p.test.here, trying isolate the content, if any, that is causing
problems. If you need a exact copy of the
GG messages that you posted, I can get them from the MSNews server and
send
them to you in email.

BTW, since they do appear on the MSNews server, it does mean that they
were
transmitted successfully to the GG server; no external networking problem.
What happened after that within the GG intranet is anyone's guess at this
point.

Good luck!