Getting the FULL text of a Comment

P

Phil Hibbs

I've tried Cell.NoteText, Cell.Comment.Text, Cell.Comment.Shape.DrawingObject.Text and they all seem to return only the first 255 characters of the Comment. How do I get the full text? I'm not interested in the formatting, just the plain text.

Phil.

B

Ben McClave

Phil,

Typically String variables are limited to 255 characters. If your macro isusing the Comment text to feed a String variable, then this limit may be the culprit. Have you tried sending the Comment text to a cell? For example (assuming comment in cell A1 and text going to B1):

sheet1.Range("B1").Value = sheet1.Range("A1").Comment.Text

P

Phil Hibbs

Typically String variables are limited to 255 characters. If your macro is
using the Comment text to feed a String variable, then this limit may be the
culprit. Have you tried sending the Comment text to a cell? For example
(assuming comment in cell A1 and text going to B1):

That's not true. I have strings that are tens of thousands of characters long in the same VBA program.

Phil.

P

Phil Hibbs

Ben:
Me:
That's not true. I have strings that are tens of thousands of characters long
in the same VBA program.

However, as you suggest, assigning cell[1,1]=cell[1.1].comment.text does appear to work, it gets the full text of the comment. Odd then that assigning it to a String variable chops it off, when the string variable can easily contain the full text.

Phil.

P

Phil Hibbs

Hm. Seems to be working now. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Cell.Comment.Text does appear to be returning the full text.

Phil.

Ask a Question