Getting rid of Search Companion

G

I was trying to change an icon on a folder in:"My Documents", by selecting the tools menu & clicking on Folder Options, etc., etc. Now every time I want to open a folder in :"My Documents", the "Search Companion Window" opens. It finds all my files, but how can I stop the Search Companion Window from opening? I want to get to my files right away when I click on a folder.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Follow the instructions outlined in this article:

Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321186&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|I was trying to change an icon on a folder in:"My Documents", by selecting the tools menu & clicking on
Folder Options, etc., etc. Now every time I want to open a folder in :"My Documents", the "Search Companion
Window" opens. It finds all my files, but how can I stop the Search Companion Window from opening? I want to
get to my files right away when I click on a folder.

A

Alex Nichol

Lost said:
I was trying to change an icon on a folder in:"My Documents", by selecting the tools menu & clicking on Folder Options, etc., etc. Now every time I want to open a folder in :"My Documents", the "Search Companion Window" opens. It finds all my files, but how can I stop the Search Companion Window from opening?

Start - Run - regedit.exe

Open to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
and in the right pane, double click on '(Default)' and give it a value
of the explicit four characters
none

Repeat at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell

Ask a Question