Get ready to duck!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Nasa satellite UARS nearing Earth 'could land anywhere'

_55417318_012910112-1.jpg

The 'productive scientific life' of the UARS ended in 2005 when it ran out of fuel

A five tonne, 20-year-old satellite has fallen out of orbit and is expected to crash somewhere on Earth on or around 24 September, according to Nasa.
Nasa says the risk to life from the UARS - Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite - is just 1 in 3,200.

Hurtling at 5m (8km) per second, it could land anywhere between 57 degrees north and 57 degrees south of the equator - most of the populated world.
However, most of the satellite will break or burn up before reaching Earth.
Scientists have identified 26 separate pieces that could survive the fall through the earth's atmosphere, and debris could rain across an area 400-500km (250-310 miles) wide.

Nasa said scientists would only be able to make more accurate predictions about where the satellite might land two hours before it enters the Earth's atmosphere.
Re-entry The 1 in 3,200 risk to public safety is higher than the 1 in 10,000 limit that Nasa aims for.

However, Nasa told reporters that nobody had ever been hurt by objects re-entering from space.

_53447913_deltaintexas.jpg

Members of the public are not allowed to keep pieces of the satellite that may fall to Earth, or sell them on eBay, as they remain the property of the US government.
The UARS was launched in 1991 by the Discovery space shuttle, and was decommissioned in 2005.

The latest satellite re-entry is much smaller than Skylab, a satellite that re-entered the earth's atmosphere in 1979.

It was some 15 times heavier than the UARS, and when it crashed in Western Australia the US government was fined a $400 clean-up fee by the Australian government.

Sputnik 2 crashed on Earth in 1958, travelling from over New York to the Amazon in 10 minutes. It was viewed by many people and left a trail of brightly coloured sparks behind it.
Source: BBC News

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
it could land anywhere between 57 degrees north and 57 degrees south of the equator - most of the populated world.

I'll take my brolly out with me that day for extra protection. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Latest update...

Update #9

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 03:01:35 AM GMT

As of 9:30 p.m. EDT Sept. 22, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 110 mi by 115 mi (175 km by 185 km). Re-entry is possible sometime during the afternoon or early evening of Sept. 23, Eastern Daylight Time. The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any more certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 24 hours.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/uars/index.html

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has it hit earth yet?

Yep, it seems so - although it hasn't been confirmed where it landed (so I guess it didn't hit anyone). Initial reports suggest that it may have been in northern Canada:

A statement on the Nasa UARS website read: "The Joint Space Operations Center at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California said the satellite penetrated the atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean. The precise re-entry time and location are not yet known with certainty."

There have been some unconfirmed reports on Twitter that suggested debris might have fallen in western Canada.

(From the link nivrip posted)

Reaction score
Oh, good then I can take off the tin helmet then, well I couldn't find a tin helmet so it was a coal scuttle and I can tell you it was most uncomfortable wearing it in bed.:D

Ask a Question