GESWALL FREE 2.9.2

Buffalo

From: "Zo" <[email protected]>
Subject: GESWALL FREE 2.9.2
Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:11 AM

GeSWall is intrusion prevention system that is non-intrusive and easy
to use. With GeSWall, you can safely surf the web, use e-mail, chat,
exchange files etc, regardless of the security threats posed by the
Internet. GeSWall is a required supplementary to your anti-virus,
anti-spyware and personal firewall as it blocks unknown threats missed
by those solutions.

Key Features
* Prevents key loggers, rootkits, backdoors.
* Prevents confidential file disclosure.
* Prevents targeted intrusions.
* Prevents malicious software infection.
* Independent of attack techniques.
* Easy to use - non-intrusive, no configuration required.

Requirements
32-bit OS: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7.
GeSWall Freeware 64-bit not yet available.

http://gentlesecurity.com/geswall.html

Would appreciate feed back from any current users. tia

--
Zo

Well Zo, I tried to install GeSWall Free 2.9.2 on my Win2000ProSP4 system
and it would not install.
I got the error "Procedure Entry Point getaddrinfo not found in dynmic link
library WS2.32.dll".
I looked up that error on the MS site and I do not understand how to use
their 'resolution' instructions.
Any ideas?
I also used Total Uninstall to install it so I believe I got a pretty clean
uninstall.
Also, the attempted 'install', also caused my SAS pro to generate an error
dialogue and 'terminate SAS'. Not good having a program 'terminate' your
anti-malware program, is it?
I did restart SAS and it seemed fine. I then did a scan with SAS and it was
clean.

Anyone out there have any solution or comments?
Thanks,
Buffalo

Buffalo

From: "Zo" <[email protected]>
Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:11 AM

[...]

Damn, somehow I got caught in you sig line: It should have read "
WS2_32.dll" instead of WS2.32.dll as most of you would probably picked up
on.
Thanks.
Buffalo
Damn, I'm not sure any of this is coming through. Still, it isn't snowing
out yet! :)

[...]

Ant said:
The function/procedure "getaddrinfo" was introduced with XP so you are
out of luck.

Actually, that says something about the program (a crapness
indicator). The installer should have detected you were running on
Win2k and issued a suitable error message, i.e. "Minimum OS is XP".

What did they say? The only valid solution in this case is to upgrade
your OS.

Sounds possible to do in Win2000pro SP4 but I do not understand the
'Resolution' below:
This is from: hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/955045

"To execute an application using this function on earlier versions of
Windows (Windows 2000, Windows NT, and Windows Me/98/95), then it is
mandatary to #include Ws2tcpip.h and also Wspiapi.h. When the Wspiapi.h
header file is included, the 'getaddrinfo' function is #defined to the
'WspiapiGetAddrInfo' inline function in Wspiapi.h. At runtime, the
'WspiapiGetAddrInfo' function is implemented in such a way that if the
Ws2_32.dll or the Wship6.dll (the file containing getaddrinfo in the IPv6
Technology Preview for Windows 2000) does not include 'getaddrinfo', then a
version of 'getaddrinfo' is implemented inline based on code in the
Wspiapi.h header file. This inline code will be used on older Windows
platforms that do not natively support the 'getaddrinfo' function. "
Thanks,
Buffalo

Buffalo

Ant said:
Why have you obfuscated the link? It's not malware!

I'm not surprised that article makes no sense to you because it's
aimed at software developers who get that message building their
applications. For them, there is a workaround whereby the function
can be rerouted to another API. Once the software has been built
(using getaddrinfo itself) it's too late. Microsoft should have made
this clear (that the article was for developers and not end users)
but they do hint at it in the "applies to" list: Microsoft Visual
Studio (various editions).

Thought it might be that.
I obfuscated the link because many will complain if it is not done.
Thanks,
Buffalo
PS: I didn't know what MVS was. :)