Abtrusion Protector -

BillR

Abtrusion Protector
(For WinNT/2k/XP)

http://www.abtrusion.com/abtrusion_protector_ps.asp

I haven't tried it -- yet. It looks like a strong application control
similar to an application firewall.

(Site excerpts)
Abtrusion Protector™ prevents Windows from loading unrecognized or
unknown software. Only software that you have safely installed or
explicitly allowed can be loaded into memory. Contrary to typical
anti-virus scanners, Abtrusion Protector™ is not dependent on frequent
virus definition updates.

- Benefits
Prevents viruses and hacker tools on your computer
Abtrusion Protector™ stops any software that gets copied to your
computer without your consent. Only software that you have instructed
Abtrusion Protector™ to allow is able to run. This stops most viruses
and hackers.

- No virus definition updates
Since Abtrusion Protector™ knows which files to allow rather that
which to prevent, there is no virus definition database that has to be
updated. Abtrusion Protector™ works just as well against new viruses
as against old ones.

- Verifies digital signatures
Abtrusion Protector™ verifies digital signatures and will
automatically allow signed software from software vendors that you
trust.

- Monitors software installations
When you install new software, Abtrusion Protector™ will track all new
files copied to your computer. You can instruct Abtrusion Protector™
to automatically allow the new software.

- Works side-by-side with your existing security software
You don't have to throw out your existing security software to use
Abtrusion Protector™. It works side-by-side with your personal
firewall and even with anti-virus scanners. However, Abtrusion
Protector™ protects you against security threats against which these
products won't protect you.

-----
License - http://www.abtrusion.com/Downloads/aplicensepe.asp
Abtrusion Protector™ Personal Edition is free for non-commercial,
personal use on one workstation computer in a non-network environment.
If the product is installed on a server or on a computer connected to
a domain or a LAN or has a dial-up connection to a corporate network,
a paid license key will be required.

TranZ

Abtrusion Protector
(For WinNT/2k/XP)

http://www.abtrusion.com/abtrusion_protector_ps.asp

I haven't tried it -- yet. It looks like a strong application control
similar to an application firewall.
-----------------------------------
I installed it.
Abtrusion Protector requires detailed
configuration ( at least for a novice like myself )
I had some difficulty with this.

After "playing" with it for sometime
I decided to uninstall it but an
experienced user might find the
added protection useful.

BillR

TranZ said:
Abtrusion Protector
(For WinNT/2k/XP)

http://www.abtrusion.com/abtrusion_protector_ps.asp

I haven't tried it -- yet. It looks like a strong application control
similar to an application firewall.
-----------------------------------
I installed it.
Abtrusion Protector requires detailed
configuration
( at least for a novice like myself )
I had some difficulty with this.

After "playing" with it for sometime
I decided to uninstall it but an
experienced user might find the
added protection useful.

Sort of like a firewall except inside the OS -- if not approved, can't
receive/send. Was the problem with setting up the product itself, or
was it with having to specify numerous rules (these applications are
approved to run, etc.). If the latter, was this an interface problem?
Easy once you understood how? Tedious because so repetitive?

Has anyone with System Safety Monitor (SSM) experience tried it? The
appear to have similar features.
http://maxcomputing.narod.ru/ssme.html?lang=en

Both of these appear to do a bit more than
WinPatrol - http://www.winpatrol.com
and
WinSonar - http://digilander.libero.it/zancart/winsonar/index.htm

Are there any freeware (or no $) intrusion detection systems that
combine monitoring file integrity (checksums, not just date), the
registry (intelligently), and executing process (i.e., real-time)?
Are they practical on dynamic systems?

Thanks,
BillR

ocol

BillR said:
"TranZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Has anyone with System Safety Monitor (SSM) experience tried it? The
appear to have similar features.
http://maxcomputing.narod.ru/ssme.html?lang=en

Both of these appear to do a bit more than
WinPatrol - http://www.winpatrol.com
and
WinSonar - http://digilander.libero.it/zancart/winsonar/index.htm
Are they practical on dynamic systems?

Thanks,
BillR

I have been using Abtrusion Protector alongside System Safety Monitor for
quite some time now and it provides much needed security (some say
overkill). Occasionally I did get problems, for example when my Antivirus
software would load a new .dll file after an update, Abtrusion Protector
would prevent the new .dll from being loaded. (Imagine if a Trojan was
trying to do the same) To solve these problems I just separated all software
into different ''software packages'' and gave individual files/appls/dll
execution rights. I think to use Abtrusion Protector and System Safety
Monitor, the user should have a very good idea of how the Operating System
on their computer should behave and which files it needs to run. I highly
recommend both of these software to anyone but I can definitely see why a
novice may experience difficulty with either of them.

With Abrtusion or System safety Monitor installed all of the recent Worm
outbreaks would have been prevented but nothing can really replace good old
common sense however.

BillR

ocol said:
[...]

Both, wow. How do Protector and SSM compare to each other? Recommendation?

Thanks.
BillR

Ogre