Windows 7 Genuinely SIMPLE auto-install

Reaction score
I've spent the last few days gently kicking around the idea of putting all my windows CDs/DVDs onto a multi-boot USB stick.

Then I started thinking about slipstreaming the software I always use that doesn't get updated too frequently.

Then I started thinking about batch auto-install, including lisense keys.

Am I not Googling properly, or are there NO programs.... SIMPLE programs that give you simple options to do these (seemingly) simple things?

Of course, it takes a smart person or two to put together crystal-clear programs for this stuff, I do appreicate that the code to allow these actions is not 100% basic thanks to how W7 deals with images and installers etc

Heh.... someone feel like coding something like this?

myidea.jpg

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Check out http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

You can take an ISO and make multiboot USB sticks.

http://www.panticz.de/MultiBootUSB

I am not a linux guy, so I have not been successful at creating a boot menu with the proper ISOs I want. I also have not really been able to spend the time hammering on it. I have created a USB stick that runs a Windows 7 installation using a slipstreamed ISO with all the tools and software and unattended run that I want.

You can use sysprep if you want to create images to move to different machines. It creates a setup of Windows that you can ghost to a drive and setup using different Windows keys. You can install your own keys so that they are not necessary.

Edit: I should note that Sysprep will return your system to the "just out of the box" setup. All the programs will be installed. It will just be as if you purchased the machine from a major retailer and need to input your personal information. This is how those machines are image copied.

Something else you may be able to use is CloneZilla. Block for block copy. It is also included on the http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Take a look at that if nothing else but for an example of building a custom grub menu to do exactly what you want to do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts :)

A 1.7GB download to allow some form of bootable automated USB? That kinda reinforces my point. This is more convoluted than it needs to be in my opinion. Ironically, it also needs to be burned to DVD and installed from that.

@ silverhaze... thanks for the links :) One is of no use to me (I should have specified Windows, not linux) and the other looks quite involved.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Alright.

Well, here goes. I have not researched this, but it seems like it would be feasible. I am sure someone out there has something that does this aside from Linux.

Remember back in the day when you would install Windows 95? You had to boot a floppy and then you had access to the HD where you needed to create autoexec.bat and config.sys to get the system to start. You can get CD Drivers to load, but you still need a boot loader to kick off the menu for the OS Installation choices.

Sounds like you want this: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/
Specifically, this: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#cdrommi

I have no idea if it works. I have never tried it. BUT NOTE, that even in the first line:
This will show you how to build a multiboot CD-Rom using isolinux and memdisk

Edit: Google search: http://www.mytechguide.org/7377/how-to-boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-using-multiboot-usb-menu/
I will look to see if i find anything else. This cannot be any more different than trying to boot multiple OS from a single drive after OS installation. Perhaps it could be something more of a dumbed down NTLDR using Boot.ini configurations.

Edit2: After reviewing the nu2 site, it also references
This will show you how to build a multiboot CD-Rom using isolinux and memdisk. Memdisk simulates a disk by claiming a chunk of high memory for the disk and a (very small - 2K typical) chunk of low (DOS) memory for the driver itself, then hooking the INT 13h (disk driver) and INT 15h (memory query) BIOS interrupts. Memdisk is very fast

It sounds like anyone who is doing this is using some form of linux in order to emulate the CD drive and create the boot loader. It seems that you have to be able to write your own MBR in order to create a 100% Windows based multiboot installation CD.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for putting that together for me :)

I'll have a closer look when I feel a bit more "with it." At first look I think "uh-oh"

I don't remember ever installing Windows 95. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Reaction score
I've seen it :) Is there a windows equivalent? :) ie.... to install Windows :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
@Barbarian - I think that does the same as http://www.nliteos.com/

You can create the slipstreamed images, no problem. The issue is getting a boot loader that allows you to select which OS image to use for booting/installing the machine. Everything that I have seen with respect to that references linux kernels to get to a menu like that.

Think about the boot menu that you get to start OS installations in a multiple OS boot situation for Windows. You can run XP, 7, 2003 all on one box with the designation of the OS location in the boot.ini file.

However, Windows 7 doesn't use a typical boot.ini file.

For reference: http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/2950-windows-7-boot-ini-file.html

From the comments:
Josh's comment is correct, but you will still need a boot.ini to load XP, pluss all the root files. These may still exist on the non boot partition.
An average Boot.ini reads:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

You might have to adjust these parameters to suit your own setup.

The normal boot files in XP will also be
Autoexec.bat
Config.sys
IO.sys
Msdos.sys
NtDetect.com

As I said, these may exist on the no boot partition.
If you have them, search and download, EasyBcd (Free) and install it in Windows 7. It has options to repair a dual boot.

The search continues.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
@Barbarian - I think that does the same as http://www.nliteos.com/

You can create the slipstreamed images, no problem. The issue is getting a boot loader that allows you to select which OS image to use for booting/installing the machine. Everything that I have seen with respect to that references linux kernels to get to a menu like that.

Think about the boot menu that you get to start OS installations in a multiple OS boot situation for Windows. You can run XP, 7, 2003 all on one box with the designation of the OS location in the boot.ini file.

However, Windows 7 doesn't use a typical boot.ini file.

For reference: http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/2950-windows-7-boot-ini-file.html

From the comments:

The search continues.

As I understand it,nlite was for XP and was superseded by vlite for Vista and that in turn was superseded by rt7lite for Windows 7.
Reading on the rt7lite site it states,

RT Se7en Lite is developed by Rockers Team to customize windows 7 operating system and to make it lite. You can add wallpapers, Icons, themes, integrate updates, drivers, language packs, applications, remove components, enable or disable features, unattended installation settings, bootable ISO and USB creator , etc. It will be very easy to operate and changing the style of your windows 7 operating system.

So as far as I understand you can make a customised installation Windows 7 DVD. Is that not what Kenny is after ?
:confused:

Reaction score
Evening :D Not a DVD, but a USB :)

With the help of MagicISO, I can take an ISO and make a bootable DVD no problem. Magic ISO even has the tools for a multi-boot DVD (not that DVDs are big enough to hold 3-4 O.S,)...... but the whole install-from-USB thing is very new to me, so I don't know how to complete that bit.

Even that would be a start.... slipstreaming programs etc into Windows can come later if it has to

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Evening :D Not a DVD, but a USB :)

With the help of MagicISO, I can take an ISO and make a bootable DVD no problem. Magic ISO even has the tools for a multi-boot DVD (not that DVDs are big enough to hold 3-4 O.S,)...... but the whole install-from-USB thing is very new to me, so I don't know how to complete that bit.

Even that would be a start.... slipstreaming programs etc into Windows can come later if it has to

Besides its ability to add many UI components like themes, wallpapers, icons, etc. RT Se7en Lite can also enable or disable features as well as to create unattended installation settings. Once all customization settings are configured, you can then create a bootable ISO and/or USB installer.

:cool:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
@barbarian

bootable ISO and USB creator , etc. It will be very easy to operate and changing the style of your windows 7 operating system.

I think that this is exactly what he is after. The key is being able to link together many bootable ISO images on a USB stick and provide the user an option on which OS installation to start the system. He would like this boot menu to be Windows/DOS based rather than Linux/GRUB based. I have only seen tools that create multiple OS installation USB keys using the latter.

Reaction score
Had to postpone this for a couple days, but I will definitely check it out :) Thanks!

(Will let you know how I get on)

Ask a Question