Genuine BT Phone Scam

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
A heads-up for anyone who might not have seen or heard this BBC report. BT are warning customers not to be fooled by the scammers: details here. You might also have received emails about it, they are doing the rounds, but this is a genuine one. :thumb:

:wave:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I made this thread a 'stickie' for a few days ... :thumb:

:)

Reaction score
Well it looks like somebodyhas just tried to scam me.
First off I don't normally answer my phone if I see the number is been withheld or if I don't recognise the number. IE if your name don't show up, I aint answering.
Anyway about an hour ago the phone rang and I answered. The woman on the other end was very fast speaking, She said something what I thought to be along the lines of been British Telecom.
She went onto say that from next month I would recieve a discount of £9.99 but in order to do this I would have to confirm my name, age, address plus bank details. Account number plus sort code as to be part of this deal you need to pay by direct debit monthly. Something I already do, as soon as she said that I was automatically suspicious and hung up. 20 odd minutes later the same person rang again and tried the same thing..They were met with the normal amount of abuse you'd get if you try scam me. Anyway, lengthly call to BT to see what was going on and if they were able to get the number of the caller etc so it could be reported as the number was withheld. They said no they can't do that as I could just be out to cuase nuisance if they gave me the number. What I needed to do was call the police and file a complaint that way. And untill the police get involved to try keep my line clear so they could trace the call from BT..Mmm something that is not possible in my house.
So there you go, seems this scam thing is getting worse now. They tried and they failed...

Ask a Question