BT Scammers

Reaction score
Looks like the BT scammers are back at it again.

I just recieved a call from a very well spoken lady claiming to be from BT

She greated me by my name and informed me I had an outstanding balance of £93.00 on my account and I need to make payment by debit or credit card at this moment to avoid been terminated this evening. If I did not she would cut the line within the next few moments.

At no point did she ask me to verify any details or such like. I had a little giggle and informed her my account is settled via direct debit and as of Monday was completely upto date. She went onto say there must be some error as their system is showing I have an outstanding balance of £93.00. Again she said I need to make paynment by debit or credit card at this moment to avoid been terminated this evening.

With that I hung up the phone. When I tried to call BT a few moments later the line seemed to be dead. No dial tone etc. I left it for about 15 minutes and tried to call BT again. I got through and explained what had happened. They assured me that they had not made any such call and would not make any such call. And that they would look into it.

I would just love to know where these scammers got my name and number from ?..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very interesting - I guess if they keep their phone still on the line to you then it will appear as if it is dead. Quite a clever scam and I bet someone falls for it! You'd think BT could trace the number easily enough and then block it though (unless it's a PAYG mobile) - so I hope they get caught.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
You'd think BT could trace the number easily enough and then block it though (unless it's a PAYG mobile) - so I hope they get caught.

I dialed 1471 and an 0161 number came up, but when you select 3 to return the call it just makes like a screaching noise in your ear. I gave the number to BT. So i'm sure they will have a look into it.

Reaction score
Hate people like this. Instead of being caught, it would be nice if they got hit by a bus.

Talking about PAYG mobiles, in Oz you need to show your passport to buy a PAYG mobile, so they can find dodgy people!! :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
"not hanging up" the phone used to work both ways :nod:

wonder where they got their "list of names" from :rolleyes:

:user:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
BT insider taking a backhander I bet..
nod.gif

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Talking about PAYG mobiles, in Oz you need to show your passport to buy a PAYG mobile, so they can find dodgy people!! :)

That's starting to happen here aswell now..

Reaction score
You can avoid unwanted calls by having a call screening service. Ask your local phone company if they offer such. The call screening will give you the choice to accept call, reject call or direct calls to voicemail service before you can actually answer it.

Ask a Question