Gateway Essential 800C

E

Earl Partridge

I know this is not the correct newsgroup, but with the big knowledge base here,
hope somebody can help...

This PC would not boot, no lights, no fan... nothing. I replaced the power supply.
It ran for a couple days... now dead again. I'm guessing it was not a bad power supply,
perhaps bad motherboard. I'm looking for somebody with one of these machines that
might be laying around collecting dust and may want to let go of the motherboard at
a reasonable price.

Earl

U

Unknown

Why are you guessing it is not the power supply if you replaced it and it worked? Has there been many additions to the computer that is loading the power supply more than its rated capacity?

This PC would not boot, no lights, no fan... nothing. I replaced the power supply.
It ran for a couple days... now dead again. I'm guessing it was not a bad power supply,
perhaps bad motherboard. I'm looking for somebody with one of these machines that
might be laying around collecting dust and may want to let go of the motherboard at
a reasonable price.

Earl

E

Earl Partridge

No additions at all. After replacing the power supply, it became intermittent, or rather continued
to be intermittent. In other words, replacing the power supply did not seem to fix the problem.
About 6 months ago, I could not get it to start, so left it alone. Four days ago, tried again, and
it booted, ran ok for 2 days. Now back to not booting again. Again, no sound, no lights, no fans,
nothing.
Earl
Why are you guessing it is not the power supply if you replaced it and it worked? Has there been many additions to the computer that is loading the power supply more than its rated capacity?

a reasonable price.

Earl

U

Unknown

Something simple such as a bad power on switch or the cable from the power on switch to the board. Most all PC's have a cable from the power on switch to the mother board. This provides a signal to the power supply to start. If you can, reseat the cable.
No additions at all. After replacing the power supply, it became intermittent, or rather continued
to be intermittent. In other words, replacing the power supply did not seem to fix the problem.
About 6 months ago, I could not get it to start, so left it alone. Four days ago, tried again, and
it booted, ran ok for 2 days. Now back to not booting again. Again, no sound, no lights, no fans,
nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

E

Earl Partridge

I have removed, reseated, etc. I even cut the two wires (previously) and did a direct short.
I have removed the plug from the motherboard, shorted the two pegs where the switch
connects. The cutting of the two wires was done about 6 months ago, resoldered of course,
and it has worked since that time. Today I did the shorting of the two pegs on the MB.

Should there be any voltage present on these two pegs?
I would suspect the switch is a push/on, push/off type switch, where pushing for ON would
maintain contact within the switch.

Earl

Something simple such as a bad power on switch or the cable from the power on switch to the board. Most all PC's have a cable from the power on switch to the mother board. This provides a signal to the power supply to start. If you can, reseat the cable.
nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

U

Unknown

Sorry I never checked the type of switch as to whether it was momentary or push on and push off. Since the power supplies are 'switch mode' a latch type is not needed, (the power supply only needs a start pulse). But, the design engineer may have something else in mind to accommodate sleep, hibernation and forcing power off functions.
With the computer plugged in there should be a +5v standby available. This is a fused line but buried within the supply and is available on the power supply cable..
I have removed, reseated, etc. I even cut the two wires (previously) and did a direct short.
I have removed the plug from the motherboard, shorted the two pegs where the switch
connects. The cutting of the two wires was done about 6 months ago, resoldered of course,
and it has worked since that time. Today I did the shorting of the two pegs on the MB.

I would suspect the switch is a push/on, push/off type switch, where pushing for ON would

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

E

Earl Partridge

I took the cover off the power supply, the fuse is ok.
I appreciate you hanging with me on this but it looks like we're at a dead end.
Earl

Sorry I never checked the type of switch as to whether it was momentary or push on and push off. Since the power supplies are 'switch mode' a latch type is not needed, (the power supply only needs a start pulse). But, the design engineer may have something else in mind to accommodate sleep, hibernation and forcing power off functions.
With the computer plugged in there should be a +5v standby available. This is a fused line but buried within the supply and is available on the power supply cable..

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

U

Unknown

Can you check to see if you have +5v? If not, the supply is dead.
Earl

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

E

Earl Partridge

Would that be on the two pegs that the switch connects to... or where would I check?
Earl
Earl

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

U

Unknown

Most supplies are printed with +5vSB. (Standby). I searched Google for 'pc power supply diagrams'. There are more than one of course so you might try searching for your model. I print out the diagram and it helps tremendously in fixing them.
I hesitate discussing them because so many people believe you can electrocute yourself if you open the supply.
Would that be on the two pegs that the switch connects to... or where would I check?
Earl
Earl

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

E

Earl Partridge

The PS actually has a label of the pins, identical to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...upply+115/230+V+cUL,+UL,+CB+&+CE+-+Retail

The purple is the +5vSB. It has several black wires. Which would be the Common, to check
with the purple?
Earl

Most supplies are printed with +5vSB. (Standby). I searched Google for 'pc power supply diagrams'. There are more than one of course so you might try searching for your model. I print out the diagram and it helps tremendously in fixing them.
I hesitate discussing them because so many people believe you can electrocute yourself if you open the supply.
Earl
Earl

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

E

Earl Partridge

I tried to include a link to a picture of the power supply but I guess that's not allowed in newsgroups.
The PS actually has a diagram of the pins. The purple is the +5vSB. The label indicates black
is Common, but there are several black wires. Any idea how to determine which black is common?
Earl
Earl
Earl

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

U

Unknown

Right next to the purple wire is the black common. I did get the link to the power supply. The ATX 200 is the most common power supply. I keep a diagram of it.
I tried to include a link to a picture of the power supply but I guess that's not allowed in newsgroups.
The PS actually has a diagram of the pins. The purple is the +5vSB. The label indicates black
is Common, but there are several black wires. Any idea how to determine which black is common?
Earl
Earl
Earl

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

E

Earl Partridge

I must have a different version... Here's my pin layout:
Row 1: Yel | Prpl | Gry | Blk | Red | Blk | Red | Blk | Orng | Orng
Row 2: Red | Red | Whit | Blk | Blk | Blk | Grn | Blk | Blue | Orng

Right next to the purple wire is the black common. I did get the link to the power supply. The ATX 200 is the most common power supply. I keep a diagram of it.
Earl
Earl
Earl

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

U

Unknown

The +5v SB is the violet wire and is pin 9 on the cable. (second from end of cable). Pin 8 is gray and is a 'power OK' signal. Pin 7 is black and is ground. Diagram below is correct.

Earl
Earl
Earl

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

E

Earl Partridge

OK, Thanks. I assume I'm doing this right. With AC power going to the PS, and with the
20 pin connector unplugged, I check voltage between pins 7 & 9. I get nothing.
I checked the old and the replacement PS, both read zero. Perhaps there is something
on the MB shorting out and damaging the PS??

The +5v SB is the violet wire and is pin 9 on the cable. (second from end of cable). Pin 8 is gray and is a 'power OK' signal. Pin 7 is black and is ground. Diagram below is correct.

Earl
Earl
Earl

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

U

Unknown

Do you have a 230/115V switch on your supply? If so you may want to jiggle it. Any further diagnosis has to be done inside the supply. My suspicion is the +5v regulator that provides the +5VSB. That would be IC3. If there is an input but no output, that is the problem. If no input, the fuse?. I suspect the regulator for the standby because it is always on (high power on hours) and can carry very little current. You can buy a new supply for approximately $25 on eBay.
Has your replacement supply been in the computer and operating? How long? Do you use a surge suppressor on your system? Lightning in your area?
OK, Thanks. I assume I'm doing this right. With AC power going to the PS, and with the
20 pin connector unplugged, I check voltage between pins 7 & 9. I get nothing.
I checked the old and the replacement PS, both read zero. Perhaps there is something
on the MB shorting out and damaging the PS??

Earl
Earl
Earl

Earl

nothing.
Earl

a reasonable price.

Earl

W

w_tom

OK, Thanks. I assume I'm doing this right. With AC power going to the PS, and with
the 20 pin connector unplugged, I check voltage between pins 7 & 9. I get nothing.
I checked the old and the replacement PS, both read zero. Perhaps there is
something on the MB shorting out and damaging the PS??

Best is to not unplug anything. Best is follow a procedure that
takes only two minutes and will result in a definitive answer in the
next post. The procedure is "When your computer dies without
warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp
at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh

Remember the power supply 'system' is more than just a power
supply. A power supply that appears good in one system can be
defective in another. And a power supply that boots a computer OK may
acutally be defective for months. These failures are also identified
when the procedure is performed also on a new supply.

Minimum numbers are 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7 VDC. Also post every
number including voltages before and when power switch is pressed.
For example, you said purple wire is 5 volts. But what was the number
to within three digits? Those numbers contain other useful
information.

Ask a Question