Gas prices

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I watched a documentary on this last week, and it appears as if the UK has been fortunate so far in so much that our gas has been some of the cheapest in Europe. Its only that now we don't have enough that we have to buy from the EU in their non-competitive markets bumping things up.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Europe sucks - i'm all for getting out of it. We put more into Europe than we get out of it - whats the logic in that?

I'm glad we are in the EU, however I don't like the waste that goes along with it, or subsidies for this and that.

IMO, I think being in Europe has lots of advantages that we don't yet realise, such as remaining competitive (on the whole), as a country like the UK, France, Germany can only get smaller in 50 years time. We aren't the powerful nations that we once were, so its better to stick together - after all our values are very similar. If not, it would be much harder to have a say in world affairs in truth.

However, I know some people in EU related jobs and it is full of red tape, political correctness and bureaucracy. Excellent pay, excellent benefits etc... fantastic for them, but someone else has to pay for it (who no doubt earns half as much, much less benefits). This also ties in with subsidies for different countries for many things (farming being a hot issue, but plenty others). I'm all for helping people out when they are in need, but industries must be able to remain competitive at the same time - which they aren't in some cases.

Now that Germany has a new chancellor, they are implementing reforms like this country did years back which are now starting to show economic benefits. No doubt France and other countries will head this way soon enough too. Once Europe sheds some of this red tape, then I hope it will be something that benefits all.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
No finer words spoken by any mere mortal ... Ian i agree :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm broadly in favour of being part of the EEC as well.

It is not 1966 any more.

Well said Ian, agree with you totally :)

I wil add, however, that I'd like us to retain our own culture, our own individuality, our very Britishness/Englishness/Scottishness/Welshness/Irishness/whatever. I'm sure you know what I mean, I don't want the benefits of being part of the European market to undermine our individuality and culture.

And as a side note, don't matter a jot what your skin colour is, we're all here together.

As for the Gas prices, obviously I ain't too pleased about it, but it is at least understandable, to a certain degree.

I say bring back Nationalisation, lol ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I wil add, however, that I'd like us to retain our own culture, our own individuality, our very Britishness/Englishness/Scottishness/Welshness/Irishness/whatever. I'm sure you know what I mean, I don't want the benefits of being part of the European market to undermine our individuality and culture.

And as a side note, don't matter a jot what your skin colour is, we're all here together.

I'll drink to that :D

Reaction score
Ok I have read all the replies to this thread with great interest, and I thank you one and all, may I point out I am neither for nor against the EEU, the question was self-explanatory.

It is not 1966 any more.
:rolleyes:
that I'd like us to retain our own culture, our own individuality, our very Britishness/Englishness/Scottishness/Welshness/Irishness/whatever. I'm sure you know what I mean, I don't want the benefits of being part of the European market to undermine our individuality and culture.
Well I doubt that will happen.

I agree with that in its entirety.
I say bring back Nationalisation
Hmm!:D

I'm glad we are in the EU, however I don't like the waste that goes along with it, or subsidies for this and that.

Waste! Not when it comes to jobs for the boys they don’t give a hoot.:eek:
We aren't the powerful nations that we once were, so its better to stick together - after all our values are very similar. If not, it would be much harder to have a say in world affairs in truth.

That’s a fact.:)

Reaction score
Prices higher in UK

A friend of a friend recently bought a new full UK spec car in France & saved £3000. The full deal included all paper work, full warranty, road tax, help contacting insuinsurance companies, fares over & back. All servicing will be in France (with cheap fares over to France part of the deal) & MOT's when needed at a local garage in Dover that the French garage know.

His local dealer refuses point blank to touch the car even with it's european warranty, that is valid in the UK!

It seems the French want the business more than the UK.
His local dealer refused to offer more than £500 off the list price saying the dealer was only just making a profit, so why cheaper in France?

Ask a Question