Gaming Laptops?

Reaction score
(this may be the wrong forum. >.>)

Just curious on everyones opinion of them. Im in need of a gaming machine and a laptop for student purposes. When I move into my university accomodation a laptop will be a LOT easier to take than a whole computer.

But anyway, what are peoples opinions on gaming laptops here? Pro's and Con's would be helpfull. :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You can get laptops that are reasonably good at gaming, but not as good as a desktop PC (and certainly much more expensive!).

Pros
  • It's easier to carry round university
  • Takes up less space
  • Can be taken into class if needed
Cons
  • More likely to get nicked from uni (when I was in Uni halls a few years ago, laptops were stolen all the time!)
  • More expensive than a desktop of equivalent power
  • Desktops are much more suited to gaming
  • Cheaper
  • Easily upgradeable over the years
My own choice would be a desktop, unless you need portability or space (those are the only reasons I'd pick one for a main PC). If you are going to be moving out of halls and into your own accommodation next year then it might be worth putting up with a desktop for the time being.

It's not ideal, but as you want a gaming computer then a laptop isn't the best choice - portability would be a good reason to get a reasonable gaming laptop though. :thumb:

Reaction score
Well, I do want a damn good gaming machine lol, but the subject im going to be studying is Games Design, so i figured if i end up doing some 3d designing, i can take my laptop into lectures with me and work on it back in my room as opposed to having to fight off a load of sheffieldians (thats where im going, sheffield hallam) for a computer. @.@ I am pretty undecided though. I mean, I'll have £1000 to use for this purpose, and i know i can get an awesome desktop for that money, but i dont know if a laptop for £1000ish would still let me game as i want.

rambled on a bit there, but i hope you get the gist of what i meant.

Reaction score
Go for the laptop mate, Dell are flogging some XPS's quite cheap atm.

Im going to be getting a lappy for Uni, i'm not sure but I have a feeling it will get tedious copying up your notes from lectures everyday onto your computer.

With a laptop you can just bring it in and need not worry about copying up notes.

Make sure you back up though ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Laptop more suited for Uni.

Desktop inifinitely more suitable for gaming.

In fact laptops are crap for gaming.

Your choice :)

You've already posted on this, haven't you, and gave this link which pretty much says it all.

Seems to me you want a laptop and want convincing it's good for games.

Well it isn't, pure and simple.

A laptop is great for Uni where you want portability and you're likely strapped for space in your accomodation but it don't cut the mustard for gaming.

Read the article you originally linked to again.

Then read it once more.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
I had a laptop custom made last year, it cost me about £1400.

Vista HP
2.4 Ghz C2D
4 Gig RAM
17 inch screen
8600M GT (This was about £200 on its own, a £40 desktop version of this card is more powerful)
160HDD

You can get it a year later for about £800 but with a slightly better graphics card, i say slightly better but it used to run so hot it was unbelieveable, i could play games like Rome total war and company of heroes fairly well, but then it would get really hot and start to lag massively. So i sold it.

Personally i think they are a waste of money as there is no such thing as a gaming laptop, they can't cool them down enough!!!

Why not try and split your budget? You said you had £1000

You can pickup a decent laptop for £400 - £450 and
With £550 - £600 you can build a Desktop that will play games a whole lot better than any laptop.

Reaction score
I wouldnt buy a laptop primarily for games, desktops will always be better because of the cooling cababilities.

HOWEVER

You can get laptops that can play games to a good standard, I recommend doing what I am...

Buy a laptop that can handle some games, such as Call of Duty, World of Warcraft etc. but make sure you get one which has a HD port, buy a next gen console and hook it up to the laptop.

A laptop is in my opinion, the right choice if you are wanting to go to university. A desktop will be to much hassle.

Ask a Question