Games on Vista

Hi everybody,

It might be a rather dumb question, but I simply don't know a hell of a lot
about computers...
When I recently bought my computer (with Vista) the salesman told me that my
old games could give trouble if installed on computers with Vista.
Because I don't really know where to find this kind of information I thought
it might be a good idea to ask you guys for help. Where do I find this kind
of information?
(for example: will Age of Empires II (and it's expansion) work without any
problems?)

Thx
The Knight of Early Days

Just try it, if it doesn't work then un-install it. And if it doen't get rid
of vista because it is bad and install debian and use WINE! the you will be
fine!

Foxy T aka Mrs Dodgy

"The Knight of Early Days" <The Knight of Early
Hi everybody,

It might be a rather dumb question, but I simply don't know a hell of a
lot
about computers...
When I recently bought my computer (with Vista) the salesman told me that
my
old games could give trouble if installed on computers with Vista.
Because I don't really know where to find this kind of information I
thought
it might be a good idea to ask you guys for help. Where do I find this
kind
of information?
(for example: will Age of Empires II (and it's expansion) work without any
problems?)

Thx
The Knight of Early Days

I have been having similar feelings, however!!
According to thread at
http://www.vistareadygames.com/showthread.php?t=83308
Age of Empires II works and installs fine

FXT

Andy [YaYa]

"Vista is for ppl who are dumb!"
Just try it, if it doesn't work then un-install it. And if it doen't get
rid
of vista because it is bad and install debian and use WINE! the you will
be
fine!

and try not to whine when you're trying to rhyme, because you're wasting our
time. Debian is a lemon OS that goes good with lime. I admire you for your
dedication to Linux, but why not spring for your own newserver?

Yes, your old games COULD give you problems in Vista, it's a new OS, a lot
of old games weren't developed with Vista in mind, so there will be
compatibility issues. If you're worried about it, don't upgrade, but I can
tell you that about 95% of the games that I had problems with required minor
adjustments to get them working, the other 5% I had to seek help on, but the
help is there if you look for it, and rarely will it take longer than an
hour or so to figure it out.

DX10 is nice for some things, but it's not a reason to upgrade yet. Most
games are still coming out with DX9 support. DirectX support in WINE
(Windows Emulator in Linux) is adiquate, but last time I tried to use it, it
was hell to tweak it to the point that it just works without having to tweak
it every time.

Vista is for people who are dumb, I just don't have the time to spend on
Linux configuring when I just want to play some games. Linux is fun for a
hobby, and MythTV is the bomb, but Linux/Mac/*ix is not a gaming OS. The
main reason my Linux box isn't my gaming box is simply because there are too
many things that just don't work, but they can, and only if you can figure
it out on your own. I had a guy tell me once to write my own driver for a TV
tuner that dispite being a new card they would never support. Now I know
some things, but I'm no coder. I can tweak code a bit, but writing a driver
for hardware is beyond my abilities.

In summery, try it, you'll like it if you give it a chance. If gaming isn't
really the main reason to get a system, look into a Mac.