G Mail anyone using this ....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Someone sent me an invite to try out G Mail or Google Mail as its called in the uk . Seems like a realy neat idea . Haven't had the time to explore it fully so has anyone got any experience or tips for using it . I was realy looking forward to having a a short e-mail addy , someting like (e-mail address removed) was realy dissapointed when I found out us in the uk have to use @googlemail.com :(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep, use it all the time ... see my sig. ;)

user.gif

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
yep, my primary email now. Way ahead of any of the others I've used in the past.
excellent spam filter too.

Reaction score
I think its a much better idea to just buy a domain and link it to Outlook, rather than have to login to Gmail or whatever...

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have to agree with Chris on that one...As i don't trust what some of these big worldwide web based companys are doing with all that information privacy wise.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
S'ok but I don't use it much.

You'll have to search for how to configure it in Outlook/Outlook Express/Mailwasher.

As for them giving my information away, Mailwasher is good and two curt words to spam phone callers usually works :D

And I'm fairly sure you can't get a gmail address anymore, just Googlemail, cos some company named Gmail threatened to sue 'em.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks guys . It was a small british firm that had been using the Gmail name as a advertising aid and they held the legal right to the name . they wouldn't sell it to google (bet they were ****ed and heads rolled ) . Should have done their homework shouldn't they .
The google help files look easy to understand so I won't have any difficulty setting it all up (ha ha where have I heard that before ).
I'm going to dump AOL is why I'm interested and using google mail will let me try out different ISP's if I need to without too much trauma.

I have a lot of AOL e-mails saved through their system under the "save to my pc " setting . I don't know where AOL puts them on my pc or what format the files will be in . I need to keep them as they relate to on going affairs . Is there any way I could transfer them to the google account . Only other way I can think of to save them is to take screen shots of them and save them which would be a real pain . :rolleyes:

Ask a Question