Full Screen

Stan

The other day IE started opening in Full Screen with Auto Hide enabled. I
disabled the Auto Hide and I know I can click F11to get out of Full Screen
but it's annoying to have to keep doing it. I want to disable Full Screen
so I don't have to keep clicking F11. Anyone know how? TIA.
Stan

Gene E. Bloch

The other day IE started opening in Full Screen with Auto Hide enabled. I
disabled the Auto Hide and I know I can click F11to get out of Full Screen
but it's annoying to have to keep doing it. I want to disable Full Screen
so I don't have to keep clicking F11. Anyone know how? TIA.
Stan

Perhaps the properties of the shortcut you use are now configured to open
it in full screen.

I have no idea how it could've changed.

Stan

Solved my problem. Thanks to your input I checked the Properties and it was
set to open in Maximized mode which is how I set up every shortcut. The
choices are Normal, Minimze, and Maximize. There is no Full Screen option. I
then remembered I have a program called IE Maximizer that I have used for
years and I found it contained a Full Screen option and it was checked. I
exited the program and all is well. Until now I considered Maximize and Full
Screen to be the same but obviously they are not. Thanks for pointing me in
the right direction.

R. C. White

Hi, Stan.
Until now I considered Maximize and Full Screen to be the same but
obviously they are not.

There are 3 views that we often refer to as "full screen". They look pretty
much the same to us humans, but Windows knows they are different.

(You obviously know this already, Stan, but for the benefit of lurkers....)

1. Full Screen - what we can toggle on and off with <F11>. Note that
this stretches to the corners of the screen, hiding the exit "X" and even
the Taskbar.

2. Maximized - what we often call full screen, but it does leave the
Taskbar exposed.

3. Normal window - stretched to fill the screen - but this also leaves
the controls available. We usually use the mouse to stretch the screen, but
we can use the keyboard if we prefer. When we resize the screen in this
way, Windows remembers the setting for the next time we start that
application. But in an app like IE, which allows us to open multiple
windows in a single session, it is the LAST window closed that gets
remembered. So most of us have been surprised more than once, after
carefully sizing our screen and then closing it, to find IE opening in a
small screen next time - because there was a small pop-up screen lurking
behind the one we adjusted, and that small screen got closed last.

Most programs honor the "Run Maximized" setting in Properties, but some do
not. And, as you said, there is no "Full Screen" (F11>) option in
Properties; your full-screen setting was in a third-part add-on program.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Stan" wrote in message
Solved my problem. Thanks to your input I checked the Properties and it was
set to open in Maximized mode which is how I set up every shortcut. The
choices are Normal, Minimze, and Maximize. There is no Full Screen option. I
then remembered I have a program called IE Maximizer that I have used for
years and I found it contained a Full Screen option and it was checked. I
exited the program and all is well. Until now I considered Maximize and Full
Screen to be the same but obviously they are not. Thanks for pointing me in
the right direction.

Gene E. Bloch

Glad to have helped, if indirectly :)

R. C. White points out, at least by implication, that I was not
distinguishing between Maximized and Full Screen. That is true. I know the
difference, but I can't make use of that knowledge without being a bit more
alert :)

I don't recall ever having heard of IE Maximizer or similar software, so
even if I had been more alert, I still wouldn't have guessed that.

Stan

Hi RC,

My compliments to you on how well you explained the diffrences of the
various views. I'm sure it will help many readers who were not aware of
them.

Stan