Full screen Command Prompt window opens When a particular USB flash drive is installed

Walt Irvine

I have an old 16MB Kangaroo Disk On Key usb flash drive. When this drive
(and only this drive) is installed, a full screen command prompt window
opens. Typing exit will return to desktop or whatever window was open, and
I can view and access files on it. It acts exactly like a right click on
any drive, and selecting the "Open Command Window Here" option. The drive
does *not* do this on any other PC. I have tried formatting it,
uninstalling it, and searched the registry until I am blue in the face. All
other usb flash drives do not do this on this PC. Any ideas?

Uwe Sieber

Walt said:
I have an old 16MB Kangaroo Disk On Key usb flash drive. When this drive
(and only this drive) is installed, a full screen command prompt window
opens. Typing exit will return to desktop or whatever window was open, and
I can view and access files on it. It acts exactly like a right click on
any drive, and selecting the "Open Command Window Here" option. The drive
does *not* do this on any other PC. I have tried formatting it,
uninstalling it, and searched the registry until I am blue in the face. All
other usb flash drives do not do this on this PC. Any ideas?

When the fullscreen Command Prompt appears, press Alt+Return
to get it to box mode.
Then check out the process tree in Sysinternals ProcessExplorer
what the parent process of the prompt is. Maybe it helps to
discover what is going on...
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

Greetings from Germany

Uwe

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Walt,

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" entry via File Types dialog,
to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders.
(example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I have an old 16MB Kangaroo Disk On Key usb flash drive. When this drive
(and only this drive) is installed, a full screen command prompt window
opens. Typing exit will return to desktop or whatever window was open, and
I can view and access files on it. It acts exactly like a right click on
any drive, and selecting the "Open Command Window Here" option. The drive
does *not* do this on any other PC. I have tried formatting it,
uninstalling it, and searched the registry until I am blue in the face. All
other usb flash drives do not do this on this PC. Any ideas?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

I sure thought about this at first. But Walt may be facing the same problem
with any other drives, or may not have noticed this problem yet?

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
For a single USB drive where others do not do this?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

All other usb flash drives do not do this on this PC

Umm. I did miss that line. If that's *truly* the case, then no point in
registering shell32.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
For a single USB drive where others do not do this?

Walt Irvine

I have explorer configured to show all files. Only what I expect to see is
on the disk.
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Do you have a hidden inf file on that drive.

Uwe Sieber

The parent is explorer.exe. The command line reads "cmd.exe" /k "cd E:\".

Never seen that before...

Does the drive appear as 'Local disk' or as 'Removable disk'
in the Windows Explorer?

Had you have a look at the drives auto play settings?
(right click the drive -> Properties -> Tab 'Auto Play')

Have you searched in the registry for "cd E:\"?

What happens when you change the drive letter in the
Disk Management?

Desktop -> right click 'My Computer' -> 'Manage'
'Disk Management'

Right click on the drive -> 'Change Drive Letter and Paths'

Greetings from Germany

Uwe

Walt Irvine

Drive appears as Removable disk in explorer. Auto Play is set for "Take no
Action". Changing the drive letter from E to F brought up the full screen
command prompt again "F:\>". Changing back to E did the same thing. I've
searched the registry for "cmd.exe /k, and found entries under
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Directory/shell/cmd/command,
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Drive/shell/cmd/command,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Classes/Directory/shell/cmd/command,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Classes/shell/drive/cmd/command,
HKEY_USERS/(userid)/Software/Classes/Directory/shell/cmd/command, and
HKDEY_USERS/(userid)/Software/classes/Drive/shell/cmd/command. I associate
these with the "Open Command Window Here" option when a directory or drive
is right clicked in Explorer.

Walt Irvine

When it or another usb drive is right clicked, identical menus appear as
follows: Expand, Open Command Window Here, Search, Explore, Open, Browse
With Paint Shop Pro 7, Autoplay, Scan for Viruses, Sharing and Security,
Format, Eject, Cut, Copy, Rename, Properties.
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Right click it and another. What is the menus.

David Candy

Ramesh is probably right then.
Type in Start Run
regsvr32 /i shell32

The only puzzling thing is why all aren't doing it.

Walt Irvine

Well, that did it. Chalk it up to another unexplained Windows event :)
Thanks to all for taking the time to help.