Fuel - At Last, Some Good News

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
HERE

Well, it's a bit cheaper than it was to fill up. :) However, oil is down by $30 a barrel, which is more than a 20% reduction from its peak at $147. But fuel has not come down by 20% otherwise it would be less than £1 per litre.

Are we still being screwed? :(

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I read somewhere (will try to find it) that it will touch $200 next year as supplies dwindle :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The problem is, the USD has strengthened this week by quite a large amount - so although it's cheaper in dollars it doesn't work out the same in pounds :(

I can't believe how much it costs to fill my car up, and it's only a 1.2 Fiesta :eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Try a big old Merc then.... ;)

If I didn't like this car so much it'd be gone.

In fact, it may very well be gone soon anyway.

A Transit Connect is more practical, but - boring :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Try a big old Merc then.... ;)

I was just thinking that as I was typing :D

What sort of mileage do you get in that?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

In London traffic ! probably about one mile for every two gallons on a good day.

laughingsmiley.gif
:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

About 18mpg round town and 25mpg on motorways at a steady 70mph.

If I drive in super-stupid mode round town it's about 15mpg.

I know this for sure as I often monitor the mileage.

I recently treated the engine fuel system to a bottle of cleanup fluid, it cost £15.00, you add it to a full tank of fuel, it definitely helped. Improved mpg and the car's a lot more responsive, particularly when accelerating for overtaking on motorways.

A fill up is usually around £78.00 when the fuel warning light comes on but recently I ran it down to the fumes and to fill it up cost me £95.00 :eek:

And Abarbarian, be quiet, you cheeky tight northern monkey you :p ;)

Reaction score
You should try my Mk5 Golf GTI.... £75 to fill it up, mpg of 10 to 35.... but it does shift like (sounds like duck)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
There was nothing wrong with Steam engines, well, they were near impossible to stop, breaks were crap. Heck, they were faster & cheaper than your 'modern' contraptions.

Try walking more. :lol:

:wave:

Reaction score
Mitsubishi "Pajero" 2.5 TDI AUTO LWB And I love the beast:nod: 28MPG LOCAL 30/40MPH> 20MPG @ 70MPH > 16MPG @ 100MPH

Fill up 2weeks ago £111.00:eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
Mitsubishi "Pajero" 2.5 TDI AUTO LWB And I love the beast:nod: 28MPG LOCAL 30/40MPH> 20MPG @ 70MPH > 16MPG @ 100MPH

Fill up 2weeks ago £111.00:eek:

Hey, I'm not alone being irresponsible then :D

Big cars rool! :p

And while we're being irresponsible I will confess that I done quite a lot of work in Kingsnorth Power Station in the late seventies :eek:

Reaction score
Paying £108.9 here at the moment for standard unleaded. It's nice to have seen the price drop over the past few weeks. I do 500 - 750 miles per week for work in my own car and it does add up at the end of the month. It would be nice to work local but i'm then not going to do something i enjoy for a living.

Reaction score
We've never dared brim the Sovereign 4.0!

I'm running my car on chip fat (Biodiesel 100%) - and even that is £1.17 per litre at the moment - when they have stock!

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I'm running my car on chip fat (Biodiesel 100%) - and even that is £1.17 per litre at the moment - when they have stock!
It's the way to go you know, cheaper than normal diesel & does the same job.
Do think the fumes remind me of the chippy though!;)

Reaction score
It does a BETTER job - it cleans the engine out 10 times better than premium diesel!

The fumes make me hungry every time though... it's quite an odd smell!

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
It does a BETTER job - it cleans the engine out 10 times better than premium diesel!

The fumes make me hungry every time though... it's quite an odd smell!
Got a friend running is LandRover ~ Defender on the stuff.
Seems a few more garages in the Home counties now stock it, more so if your near farming land.
Could be the way to go if normal fuel rises in £££ in the future.

Reaction score
I think that it's roughly following the price of dinosaur diesel though... with one of the supermarket fuel vouchers theres no difference in price in running on bio or dino at the mo!

All the big companies are buying into bio and so pushing the price up for the average joe. Its because loads of big companies like Sky want to be "Carbon Neutral"

Ask a Question