Frontpage Search Engine, IIS, & subwebs

Sarah

Does Frontpage's Search Engine use IIS's catalogs when
doing a search or does it create its own? If so, where
are they located? How does FP's search engine work with a
subweb? Is "recalculating hyperlinks" the only way to
refresh these FP search engine tables?

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Sarah,

FP uses WAIS or Index server for searching. It can be configured for either
as per http://support.microsoft.com/?id=201524. Removing the noindexserver
key in the registry will make it use Index Server catalogs. If its WAIS
engine, then recalculate is the way to go.

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

| From: "Sarah" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Sarah" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Frontpage Search Engine, IIS, & subwebs
| Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 15:39:33 -0800
|
| Does Frontpage's Search Engine use IIS's catalogs when
| doing a search or does it create its own? If so, where
| are they located? How does FP's search engine work with a
| subweb? Is "recalculating hyperlinks" the only way to
| refresh these FP search engine tables?

Sarah

Thanks. There is a web author of a subweb who has
administer rights to their web, but when they
run "recalculate hyperlinks" the pages do not update.
When I "recalculate" and I have administer rights to the
entire web and local drive it works. Does the web author
require rights on a particular folder? Also, do you know
how FP builds its search pool, what is it based on, file
name, title, etc.?

-Sarah

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Sarah,

Check if the user has permissions on _vti_text folder.

Wide Area Information Server (WAIS) was commonly used in the early days of
the Web to provide searching capabilities for Web sites. WAIS is no longer
a commercial product, and does not have the speed, extensibility,
integration, and support of Index Server. Hence from Windows 2003 WAIS has
been discontinued.

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

| From: "Sarah" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Sarah" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Frontpage Search Engine, IIS, & subwebs
| Thanks. There is a web author of a subweb who has
| administer rights to their web, but when they
| run "recalculate hyperlinks" the pages do not update.
| When I "recalculate" and I have administer rights to the
| entire web and local drive it works. Does the web author
| require rights on a particular folder? Also, do you know
| how FP builds its search pool, what is it based on, file
| name, title, etc.?
|
| -Sarah

| >|