Frontpage folders

G

Hello I am building a site and I have builgt a few before but I have never read or understood the purpose for all of the _vti_ folders and stuff. If I am not using frontpage extensions do I need them and what do they do. Thanks for any replies

Ad

Advertisements

S

Steve Easton

Yes you need them. They are how FrontPage maintains it's "inventory" of the files and
pages in your site and how they link to each other. Also they maintain the update info so
that FrontPage knows what has changed and needs to be published when you select Changed
pages only. ( among many other things )
Leave them alone, they are your friends.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

Matthew said:
Hello I am building a site and I have builgt a few before but I have never read or
understood the purpose for all of the _vti_ folders and stuff. If I am not using frontpage
extensions do I need them and what do they do. Thanks for any replies

G

I realize some of them may be important but some just seem to make a copy of all my pictures and files and double the disk space and I have deleted those before and still page runs fine. Why the doubel up?

S

Steve Easton

They aren't actual copies, they are references to the original files.
Compare file sizes between the original and the "copy" in the vti files.

Trust me, they are needed.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

Matthew said:
I realize some of them may be important but some just seem to make a copy of all my
pictures and files and double the disk space and I have deleted those before and still
page runs fine. Why the doubel up?

Ad

Advertisements

S

Stefan B Rusynko

You need them in you local web/site to allow FP to manage it
But If you are not publishing them to a FP SE site using FP,
you do not need to upload them to your online server

--

| I realize some of them may be important but some just seem to make a copy of all my pictures and files and double the disk space
and I have deleted those before and still page runs fine. Why the doubel up?

Ask a Question