FrontPage extensions on an Apache server

Wayne Moses

My websites are hosted on an Apache server with Front Page Extensions
installed.

If I create any test page with, e.g. a form on it sending the results to
say, a file, when I publish to the server I get a message saying something
to the effect that "this page has compnents that require FP extensions ...
". I continue on, knowing that I have the FP extensions installed.

When I try to submit the information from the form I get a message --

----[ quote ]----
FrontPage Run-Time Component Page
You have submitted a form or followed a link to a page that requires a web
server and the FrontPage Server Extensions to function properly.

This form or other FrontPage component will work correctly if you publish
this web to a web server that has the FrontPage Server Extensions installed.

Click the <Back> arrow to return to the previous page.
----[ end quote ]----

I tried another test, this time with a hit counter (Web component). When I
uploaded the page I got pretty much the same warning, and when I accessed
the page, the counter did not show.

A final test page with an MS Excel component worked like a charm -- I just
added the component to a blank page, saved and uploaded. I could see the
spreadsheet on the web page, use it, etc. etc.

My questions -- What do I have to do to get things like forms, hit counters,
etc. working?

I already emailed the technical support people about FP extensions on my
server and twice they allegedly uninstalled and reinstalled, and still the
problem exists. Makes me wonder if there is something I need to do on my
end.

--

Wayne Moses
MS FrontPage 2003

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Wayne,

This could happen if you are publishing using FTP to the server. When you
publish using FTP, FP does not see FPSE, hence the warning. There are a lot
of FPSE components that require FPSE on the server which get sort of
disabled - Hence the error message. The following KB explains this in
detail : http://support.microsoft.com/?id=143101

For a list of components that require FPSE on the server look at
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281532

Now to make it work, you could do this,
1. Open the Site in FP using http://www.mysite.com
2. Either do a recalculate hyperlinks or open the page with the error and
save it again so that FP sees FPSE.

Excel component will work because its a client side activeX control and
runs on your box that has excel :)

FYI: www.rtr.com supports FPSE on Apache

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

--------------------
| From: "Wayne Moses" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
| Subject: FrontPage extensions on an Apache server
|
| My websites are hosted on an Apache server with Front Page Extensions
| installed.
|
| If I create any test page with, e.g. a form on it sending the results to
| say, a file, when I publish to the server I get a message saying something
| to the effect that "this page has compnents that require FP extensions ...
| ". I continue on, knowing that I have the FP extensions installed.
|
| When I try to submit the information from the form I get a message --
|
| ----[ quote ]----
| FrontPage Run-Time Component Page
| You have submitted a form or followed a link to a page that requires a web
| server and the FrontPage Server Extensions to function properly.
|
| This form or other FrontPage component will work correctly if you publish
| this web to a web server that has the FrontPage Server Extensions
installed.

| Click the <Back> arrow to return to the previous page.
| ----[ end quote ]----
|
| I tried another test, this time with a hit counter (Web component). When I
| uploaded the page I got pretty much the same warning, and when I accessed
| the page, the counter did not show.
|
| A final test page with an MS Excel component worked like a charm -- I just
| added the component to a blank page, saved and uploaded. I could see the
| spreadsheet on the web page, use it, etc. etc.
|
| My questions -- What do I have to do to get things like forms, hit
counters,
| etc. working?
|
| I already emailed the technical support people about FP extensions on my
| server and twice they allegedly uninstalled and reinstalled, and still the
| problem exists. Makes me wonder if there is something I need to do on my
| end.
|
| --
|
| Wayne Moses
| MS FrontPage 2003
| MS Windows XP Home
| Apache Server on RedHat Linux

jlp

Also, make sure you have selected the Apache Server option under
Tools>Page Option>Compatibility before publishing

Vijay R Gangolli said:
> [...]

installed.

| Click the <Back> arrow to return to the previous page.
| ----[ end quote ]----
|
| I tried another test, this time with a hit counter (Web component). When I
| uploaded the page I got pretty much the same warning, and when I accessed
| the page, the counter did not show.
|
| A final test page with an MS Excel component worked like a charm -- I just
| added the component to a blank page, saved and uploaded. I could see the
| spreadsheet on the web page, use it, etc. etc.
|
| My questions -- What do I have to do to get things like forms, hit
counters,
| etc. working?
|
| I already emailed the technical support people about FP extensions on my
| server and twice they allegedly uninstalled and reinstalled, and still the
| problem exists. Makes me wonder if there is something I need to do on my

Vijay,

You have given me a lot to think about and to experiment with. I will look
into this some more and report back to the group with my findings. In the
meanwhile -- thank you!
--

Vijay R Gangolli said:
Hi Wayne,

This could happen if you are publishing using FTP to the server. When you
publish using FTP, FP does not see FPSE, hence the warning.

/...snip.../

Wayne Moses

jlp said:
Also, make sure you have selected the Apache Server option under
Tools>Page Option>Compatibility before publishing

Hmmm ... I have FP 2003 and Tools | Page Options does not have a
Compatibility option, and certainly no mention of Apache Server ...

Can you clarify? Thanks.

--

Vijay R Gangolli said:
Hi Wayne,

This could happen if you are publishing using FTP to the server. When you
publish using FTP, FP does not see FPSE, hence the warning.

Okay .... I am with you so far. However, that is the only way that I can
open my server.

I tried setting the Remote Server Type to "FrontPage or SharePoint
Services", typed in the URL location (down to the exact folder), and clicked
Next. It asked for username and password. When I input the same username and
password as I use to FTP to my server, it seems to reject it, clear out the
dialog box and prompt me again. This continues indefinitely.
Now to make it work, you could do this,
1. Open the Site in FP using http://www.mysite.com
2. Either do a recalculate hyperlinks or open the page with the error and
save it again so that FP sees FPSE.

Did that and no joy. BTW, the page is located at
http://gwebworks.com/fptest/
Excel component will work because its a client side activeX control and
runs on your box that has excel :)

Makes sense. Also means that if the web page viewer is not an Excel user
they won't be able to see the Excel component on the web page. I won't take
that chance.

So any other ideas? :)

I would really like to take avantage of some of these features in my
websites.

Wayne

Tom Pepper Willett

Well, you can't use FTP to a server with the FP extensions and make the
components work. You *must* use http publish. So, ftping explains why your
components don't work.

By now, ftping has corrupted the extensions. You'll need to contact your
host to repair them or to reinstall them. You also need to ask them what
password information is required to use the extensions. Not necesarily the
same as your FTP password.

Your Hit counter is pointing to a folder on your local machine c drive, and
that's why the red x...it's not pointing to a folder on the server.
--
-----
Tom Pepper Willett

| | > Hi Wayne,
| >
| > This could happen if you are publishing using FTP to the server. When
you
| > publish using FTP, FP does not see FPSE, hence the warning.
|
| Okay .... I am with you so far. However, that is the only way that I can
| open my server.
|
| I tried setting the Remote Server Type to "FrontPage or SharePoint
| Services", typed in the URL location (down to the exact folder), and
clicked
| Next. It asked for username and password. When I input the same username
and
| password as I use to FTP to my server, it seems to reject it, clear out
the
| dialog box and prompt me again. This continues indefinitely.
|
| > Now to make it work, you could do this,
| > 1. Open the Site in FP using http://www.mysite.com
| > 2. Either do a recalculate hyperlinks or open the page with the error
and
| > save it again so that FP sees FPSE.
|
| Did that and no joy. BTW, the page is located at
| http://gwebworks.com/fptest/
|
| > Excel component will work because its a client side activeX control and
| > runs on your box that has excel :)
|
| Makes sense. Also means that if the web page viewer is not an Excel user
| they won't be able to see the Excel component on the web page. I won't
take
| that chance.
|
| So any other ideas? :)
|
| I would really like to take avantage of some of these features in my
| websites.
|
| Wayne

Tom Pepper Willett

BTW, see this article about Top Ten Lists. A lot different on setting up
the usage reports and top ten list on anything other than IIS. Not for the
faint of heart.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sppt/sharepnt/fpseusag.mspx
--
-----
Tom Pepper Willett
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/
----
| Well, you can't use FTP to a server with the FP extensions and make the
| components work. You *must* use http publish. So, ftping explains why
your
| components don't work.
|
| By now, ftping has corrupted the extensions. You'll need to contact your
| host to repair them or to reinstall them. You also need to ask them what
| password information is required to use the extensions. Not necesarily
the
| same as your FTP password.
|
| Your Hit counter is pointing to a folder on your local machine c drive,
and
| that's why the red x...it's not pointing to a folder on the server.
| --
| -----
| Tom Pepper Willett
| Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/
| ----
| | |
message

| | > This could happen if you are publishing using FTP to the server. When
| you
| | > publish using FTP, FP does not see FPSE, hence the warning.
| |
| | Okay .... I am with you so far. However, that is the only way that I can
| | open my server.
| |
| | I tried setting the Remote Server Type to "FrontPage or SharePoint
| | Services", typed in the URL location (down to the exact folder), and
| clicked
| | Next. It asked for username and password. When I input the same username
| and
| | password as I use to FTP to my server, it seems to reject it, clear out
| the
| | dialog box and prompt me again. This continues indefinitely.
| |
| | > Now to make it work, you could do this,
| | > 1. Open the Site in FP using http://www.mysite.com
| | > 2. Either do a recalculate hyperlinks or open the page with the error
| and
| | > save it again so that FP sees FPSE.
| |
| | Did that and no joy. BTW, the page is located at
| | http://gwebworks.com/fptest/
| |
| | > Excel component will work because its a client side activeX control
and
| | > runs on your box that has excel :)
| |
| | Makes sense. Also means that if the web page viewer is not an Excel user
| | they won't be able to see the Excel component on the web page. I won't
| take
| | that chance.
| |
| | So any other ideas? :)
| |
| | I would really like to take avantage of some of these features in my
| | websites.
| |
| | Wayne
| |
| |

jlp

Must just be in FP2002

Wayne Moses said:
Hmmm ... I have FP 2003 and Tools | Page Options does not have a
Compatibility option, and certainly no mention of Apache Server ...

Can you clarify? Thanks.

--

Wayne Moses
MS FrontPage 2003
MS Windows XP Home
Apache Server on RedHat Linux

Wayne Moses

Well, you can't use FTP to a server with the FP extensions and make the
components work. You *must* use http publish. So, ftping explains why your
components don't work.

I had a feeling that this could be the problem ....
By now, ftping has corrupted the extensions. You'll need to contact your
host to repair them or to reinstall them.

I can resinstall them myself through my CPanel, but point taken. They need
to be reinstalled even if it restets my .htaccecss files.

This now brings me to another couple of questions.

Up to now I have been using FTP in FP2003 to upload all my sites.

If I reinstall the FPSE on my server and am successful with my little web
site (the one I posted the URL to) by uploading via 'http://...', what
happens when I go to update the other websites? Will updating them via FTP
corrupt the FPSE again?

Should I also re-configure all these other sites to use 'http://' uploads so
that the FPSE is not corrupted by any FTPing anywhere?
You also need to ask them what
password information is required to use the extensions. Not necesarily the
same as your FTP password.

Okay ... good point.

Tom Pepper Willett said:
BTW, see this article about Top Ten Lists. A lot different on setting up
the usage reports and top ten list on anything other than IIS. Not for the
faint of heart.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sppt/sharepnt/fpseusag.mspx

Thanks. I only put it in as an example on the web page. I didn't intend to
use it, since I have 3 types of Linux-based Stats programs on my server to
use.
--

Wayne Moses
MS FrontPage 2003
MS Windows XP Home
Apache Server on RedHat Linux

Tom Pepper Willett

Never, never, never ftp a web that uses FP server extensions. You must http
publish, or they will become corrupted and no features that require the
extensions will work. Didn't you just discover this? ;-)

--
-----
Tom Pepper Willett
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/
----

| |
| > Well, you can't use FTP to a server with the FP extensions and make the
| > components work. You *must* use http publish. So, ftping explains why
| your
| > components don't work.
|
| I had a feeling that this could be the problem ....
|
| > By now, ftping has corrupted the extensions. You'll need to contact
your
| > host to repair them or to reinstall them.
|
| I can resinstall them myself through my CPanel, but point taken. They need
| to be reinstalled even if it restets my .htaccecss files.
|
| This now brings me to another couple of questions.
|
| Up to now I have been using FTP in FP2003 to upload all my sites.
|
| If I reinstall the FPSE on my server and am successful with my little web
| site (the one I posted the URL to) by uploading via 'http://...', what
| happens when I go to update the other websites? Will updating them via FTP
| corrupt the FPSE again?
|
| Should I also re-configure all these other sites to use 'http://' uploads
so
| that the FPSE is not corrupted by any FTPing anywhere?
|
| > You also need to ask them what
| > password information is required to use the extensions. Not necesarily
| the
| > same as your FTP password.
|
| Okay ... good point.
|
| Thanks,
| --
|
| Wayne Moses
| MS FrontPage 2003
| MS Windows XP Home
| Apache Server on RedHat Linux

Thomas A. Rowe

If the remote server has the FP extensions and you want to use features and functions that require
them, then you can not use FTP to upload. Also the when the remote server has the FP extensions, you
can work on the remote site directly from within FP, which is not possible via FTP.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Steve Easton

You can have one site on a server that has extensions and use http:// to
publish, and another site on another server
without extensions and use ftp:// to publish.
Just because one "remote" server has extensions installed, does not affect
the webs that do not have or use them.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Wayne Moses

Steve Easton said:
You can have one site on a server that has extensions and use http:// to
publish, and another site on another server
without extensions and use ftp:// to publish.
Just because one "remote" server has extensions installed, does not affect
the webs that do not have or use them.

Thanks Steve! That is more like the answer I was looking for in my last
post.

I do now get that you must use http to publish webs that use FP components
etc. I just needed confirmation that using FTP for my 'normal' websites will
not 'break' the seemingly fragile FP Extensions.

Taking this one step further, I have virtual servers setup and on my main
domain I have canonical domains also set up. In your answer above you speak
about one server having the FP Extensions and another not having them. This
would suggest that if I need FP Extension services on a canonical domain but
not in the parent domain, then I would still have to use http to publish
even the parent domain's files since the FP Extensions are most likely
installed in the root. Am I correct?
--

Wayne Moses
MS FrontPage 2003
MS Windows XP Home
Apache Server on RedHat Linux

Steve Easton

Yes, the extensions are installed in the root. They can also be installed
( or not ) in a subweb.
Additionally you can "extend" the root and publish to it via http:// and
have a non extended subweb in the extended root and publish to the subweb
via ftp:// and not effect the extended root.

Does this answer your question??

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Thomas A. Rowe

When the FP extensions are installed to web hosting account, they apply to all domains under the
account, if hosted in the same web space, as well as all subwebs created.

However having a domain setup under a subweb, you could use FTP to that specific subweb and not
effect the extensions on any of the other webs within the web hosting space. Just don't open the
subweb in FP if you plan to only use FTP to upload content to the specific subweb.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Crash Gordon

Does that theory apply to a subweb of a site that does use FP Publish? In other words if I used Publish on the main site (with exts being utilized)...then used FTP ONLY on a subweb of the same site are we likely to break the exts on the main site?

| You can have one site on a server that has extensions and use http:// to
| publish, and another site on another server
| without extensions and use ftp:// to publish.
| Just because one "remote" server has extensions installed, does not affect
| the webs that do not have or use them.
|

| --
| Steve Easton
| Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| 95isalive
| This site is best viewed............
| .......................with a computer
|

| > > Well, you can't use FTP to a server with the FP extensions and make the
| > > components work. You *must* use http publish. So, ftping explains why
| > your
| > > components don't work.
| >
| > I had a feeling that this could be the problem ....
| >
| > > By now, ftping has corrupted the extensions. You'll need to contact
| your
| > > host to repair them or to reinstall them.
| >
| > I can resinstall them myself through my CPanel, but point taken. They need
| > to be reinstalled even if it restets my .htaccecss files.
| >
| > This now brings me to another couple of questions.
| >
| > Up to now I have been using FTP in FP2003 to upload all my sites.
| >
| > If I reinstall the FPSE on my server and am successful with my little web
| > site (the one I posted the URL to) by uploading via 'http://...', what
| > happens when I go to update the other websites? Will updating them via FTP
| > corrupt the FPSE again?
| >
| > Should I also re-configure all these other sites to use 'http://' uploads
| so
| > that the FPSE is not corrupted by any FTPing anywhere?
| >
| > > You also need to ask them what
| > > password information is required to use the extensions. Not necesarily
| > the
| > > same as your FTP password.
| >
| > Okay ... good point.
| >
| > Thanks,
| > --
| >
| > Wayne Moses
| > MS FrontPage 2003
| > MS Windows XP Home
| > Apache Server on RedHat Linux

Crash Gordon

disregard my previous same question.

| When the FP extensions are installed to web hosting account, they apply to all domains under the
| account, if hosted in the same web space, as well as all subwebs created.
|
| However having a domain setup under a subweb, you could use FTP to that specific subweb and not
| effect the extensions on any of the other webs within the web hosting space. Just don't open the
| subweb in FP if you plan to only use FTP to upload content to the specific subweb.
|
| --
| ==============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
|
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| ==============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
|
| > Yes, the extensions are installed in the root. They can also be installed
| > ( or not ) in a subweb.
| > Additionally you can "extend" the root and publish to it via http:// and
| > have a non extended subweb in the extended root and publish to the subweb
| > via ftp:// and not effect the extended root.
| >
| > Does this answer your question??
| >

| > --
| > Steve Easton
| > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| > 95isalive
| > This site is best viewed............
| > .......................with a computer

| > affect
| > >
| > > Thanks Steve! That is more like the answer I was looking for in my last
| > > post.
| > >
| > > I do now get that you must use http to publish webs that use FP components
| > > etc. I just needed confirmation that using FTP for my 'normal' websites
| > will
| > > not 'break' the seemingly fragile FP Extensions.
| > >
| > > Taking this one step further, I have virtual servers setup and on my main
| > > domain I have canonical domains also set up. In your answer above you
| > speak
| > > about one server having the FP Extensions and another not having them.
| > This
| > > would suggest that if I need FP Extension services on a canonical domain
| > but
| > > not in the parent domain, then I would still have to use http to publish
| > > even the parent domain's files since the FP Extensions are most likely
| > > installed in the root. Am I correct?
| > > --
| > >
| > > Wayne Moses
| > > MS FrontPage 2003
| > > MS Windows XP Home
| > > Apache Server on RedHat Linux

Crash Gordon

disregard that I see it's already answered as I suspected.